Subject: "managing kernel resources" and platform-specific notes

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:48:36 -0300

Hi,

We've got some platform-specific notes in the "managing kernel
resources" (17.4.1 on 8.4devel) page.  Since we recently got
platform-specific sections in the installation instructions (15.8), it
seems a good idea to move these notes to the new sections.

Opinions?

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 10:33:30 -0500

> Opinions?

Hmm, I'm not convinced.  95% of what was put into 15.8 is really
platform-specific *build* instructions.  Merging configuration
information into that doesn't seem appropriate.

In general I think chapter 15 is about getting a correct set of
binaries, while chapter 17 deals with system configuration issues.
These should be kept separate, because in the common case of using
a prepackaged build, chapter 15 is of no interest but 17 still is.

It's quite likely that some of the stuff extracted from the old platform
FAQs really belongs in 17.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:38:53 +0200

> seems a good idea to move these notes to the new sections.

It was my intent to make 15.8 platform-specific *installation* notes. 
Platform-specific run time and configuration notes should be kept close 
to where those issues are discussed, IMO.