Subject: Documentation for numeric/decimal type does not say that precision can be specified without scale

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 17:58:17 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/datatype.html
Description:

The documentation for the numeric/decimal type does not say that the
precision parameter can be specified without specifying a scale, e.g.
numeric(10) is valid.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 14:04:23 -0400

> precision parameter can be specified without specifying a scale, e.g.

Where are you looking exactly?  What I see under 8.1.2 is

    Both the maximum precision and the maximum scale of a numeric column
    can be configured. To declare a column of type numeric use the syntax:
    
        NUMERIC(precision, scale)

    The precision must be positive, the scale zero or
    positive. Alternatively:
    
        NUMERIC(precision)

    selects a scale of 0. Specifying:
    
        NUMERIC

    without any precision or scale creates a column in which numeric
    values of any precision and scale can be stored, up to the
    implementation limit on precision. A column of this kind will not
    coerce input values to any particular scale, whereas numeric columns
    with a declared scale will coerce input values to that scale. (The SQL
    standard requires a default scale of 0, i.e., coercion to integer
    precision. We find this a bit useless. If you're concerned about
    portability, always specify the precision and scale explicitly.)

			regards, tom lane