Subject: GUC/postgresql.conf docs

From: Thomas O'Connell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:54:24 -0600

is it posted anywhere which GUC variables are reset upon pg_ctl reload 
and which require a pg_ctl restart to take effect?

thanks.

-tfo

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:05:39 -0500

> and which require a pg_ctl restart to take effect?

The ones for which the Admin Guide says "this can only be set at server
start" are in the latter class.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Thomas F.O'Connell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:18:51 -0600

I just wanted to make sure the list was exhaustive. What of those that 
are marked "startup or postgresql.conf"? Do those respond to pg_ctl 
reload if modified in postgresql.conf while postmaster is running?

Thanks!

-tfo

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:01:10 -0500

"Thomas F.O'Connell" <[email-masked]> writes:
> are marked "startup or postgresql.conf"?

I believe the latter are the ones you cannot set per-backend.

If you want to be certain, look through src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c
to see which variables are marked PGC_POSTMASTER.  Those are the
restart-required vars.  The ones marked PGC_SIGHUP can be changed from
postgresql.conf, but not per-backend.  (See comments in
src/include/utils/guc.h for the gory details.)

If you find any for which the Admin Guide is wrong or misleading,
please submit a docs patch ...

			regards, tom lane