Subject: Newbie: problem Connecting to Server

From: "Ferindo Middleton Jr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 06:30:56 GMT

I'm running Redhat Linux 8. I have registration to the Redhat Network so
I'm probably running the latest version of postgre sql available. I also
have Redhat Databse v2.1 installed, but whenever I try to start a session,
I get the following error message:

psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
        Is the server running locally and accepting
        connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

Please help me configure my system so that I can connect and begin to use
postgresql.

---

From: "Viktor Vislobokov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 08:56:04 +0600

> Please help me configure my system so that I can connect and begin to use

/etc/init.d/postgresql start

After this:
Check your PostgreSQL server is running.

ps -ax | grep postmaster

You should be see some as:

   807 ?        S      0:02 /usr/bin/postmaster

If no, check your PostgreSQL installation.

With best wishes,
Victor Vislobokov
Perm, Russia