Subject: Novice Guide to PostgreSQL compilation on Windows

From: "V i s h a l Kashyap @ [Sai Hertz And Control Systems]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 12:42:09 +0530

Hi,

I was successfully today with installation of MinGW MinSys and then 
compilation of  PostgreSQL on an
WindowsXP SP1.

I have documented all my  steps for my convenience and would like to 
know if someone else needs it or more appropriately
would the document be accepted as PostgreSQL Windows How to ?

Kindly tell me know
1. How can I contribute this document to the comunity
2. Who is responsible for keeping the Windows Docs.

Some Spec about the document :
1. It is written in OpenOffice
2. With help of versioning system of Openoffice we can handle the 
changes in future

If this has been already done then sorry I waisted your and  mine time.

Suggestions / Comments / Ideas Most welcome.

-- 
Best Regards,
Vishal Kashyap
Director / Lead Developer,
Sai Hertz And Control Systems Pvt Ltd,
http://saihertz.rediffblogs.com
Jabber IM: [email-masked]
ICQ :      264360076
Yahoo  IM: [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire
universe, deserve your love and affection.
- Buddha
---------------
pgsql=# select marital_status from vishals_life;

marital_status
------------------
Single not looking

1 Row(s) affected

---

From: Shridhar Daithankar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 13:14:10 +0530

> 2. With help of versioning system of Openoffice we can handle the 

Could you please post it on a webpage? When everybody gets to look at it and 
refine it, possibly it can be included in postgresql documentation.

Personally I am eagerly waiting to try postgresql on windows sicne I don't get 
to use linux much these days..:-(

  Shridhar

---

From: "V i s h a l Kashyap @ [Sai Hertz And Control Systems]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 16:08:56 +0530

Hi ,

>
> Could you please post it on a webpage? When everybody gets to look at 
> it and refine it, possibly it can be included in postgresql 
> documentation.
>
I could have done it with web page but OpenOffice gives an ugly face to 
the export thus I am uploading a PDF format file
at
http://vishalkashyap.speedpost.net/1_beta.zip

Kindly go through the same and let me know short comings at aspire420<NO 
BAM>@hotpop.com

marital_status
------------------
Single not looking

1 Row(s) affected

---

From: fabienne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 12:03:22 +0200

> compilation of  PostgreSQL on an

Hi I tried what you suggested. I had to install flex and bison, but I 
still get the following error when I try to 'make':

gcc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes 
-Wmissing-declarations -DPGDATADIR=\"/usr/local/pgsql/share\" -DFRONTEND 
-I../../../src/interfaces/libpq -I../../../src/include 
-I./src/include/port/win32 -DEXEC_BACKEND 
"-I../../../src/include/port/win32"  -c -o initdb.o initdb.c
gcc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes 
-Wmissing-declarations initdb.o exec.o -L../../../src/interfaces/libpq 
-lpq -L../../../src/port   -lreadline -lwsock32 -lm  -lpgport -lws2_32 
-o initdb.exe
../../../src/port/libpgport.a(pipe.o)(.text+0x27):pipe.c: undefined 
reference to `pgwin32_socket'
../../../src/port/libpgport.a(pipe.o)(.text+0xbc):pipe.c: undefined 
reference to `pgwin32_socket'
../../../src/port/libpgport.a(pipe.o)(.text+0xd3):pipe.c: undefined 
reference to `pgwin32_connect'
../../../src/port/libpgport.a(pipe.o)(.text+0xe5):pipe.c: undefined 
reference to `pgwin32_accept'
../../../src/port/libpgport.a(pipe.o)(.text+0x154):pipe.c: undefined 
reference to `pgwin32_recv'
make[3]: *** [initdb] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/fab/postgresql-snapshot/src/bin/initdb'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/fab/postgresql-snapshot/src/bin'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/fab/postgresql-snapshot/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Do you know what I can do about it? Thanks for help
Fabienne

---

From: fabienne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 12:06:32 +0200

hm... sorry!
WinXP, SP1. all the latest version of the GNU software, the snapshot 
from May 14th.
Thanks a lot
Fabienne