Subject: Documenting NULLVALUE() and NONNULLVALUE()

From: David Garamond <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 21:08:36 +0700

Perl and PHP programmers (such as myself) are accustomed to using 
defined()/isset() and so when wanting to test null value they might look 
to the Functions chapter (9) instead of the SQL Syntax chapter (4). It 
took me some time before I found out about ISNULL, IS NULL, NOTNULL, IS 
NOT NULL. In MySQL I am accustomed to using ISNULL() function.

Perhaps we can change section 9.1 from "Logical Operators" to "Logical 
Functions and Operators"? NULLVALUE() and NONNULLVALUE() can be 
documented there, along with IS, IS NULL, and IS NOT NULL (which also 
don't seem to have been covered yet in Chapter 9).

Should I submit a patch?

-- 
dave

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 13:01:10 -0400

> don't seem to have been covered yet in Chapter 9).

I don't think we should document nullvalue() and nonnullvalue(), because
they are not standard.

As for "not covered", IS NULL is documented in 9.2 Comparison Operators.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: David Garamond <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 02:57:07 +0700

> As for "not covered", IS NULL is documented in 9.2 Comparison Operators.

Ah, it's not immediately visible so I missed that. Thanks.

-- 
dave