Subject: 8.0 beta status

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 19:58:14 -0400

AFAIK there are no major patches still outstanding, with the exception
of the Windows-symlinks patch that arrived today from Andreas.  Bruce
and I both think that's worth getting in, if no one has any objections,
but otherwise we essentially have 8.0beta1 code.

The documentation, however, desperately needs work still; and Marc would
like to get some of the postgresql.org domains shifted over to the
newly-installed venus server before we go beta.  So the plan right now
is for a couple days' push on documentation, wrap beta1 on Sunday,
announce it Monday.

If anyone has time to work on docs over the next two days, please show
up on pgsql-docs and let us know what you want to work on.  (And of
course it's still open season for bug-fix patches.)

			regards, tom lane

---

From: David Fetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:25:53 -0700

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 07:58:14PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> AFAIK there are no major patches still outstanding, with the
> exception of the Windows-symlinks patch that arrived today from
> Andreas.  Bruce and I both think that's worth getting in, if no one
> has any objections, but otherwise we essentially have 8.0beta1 code.
> 
> The documentation, however, desperately needs work still; and Marc
> would like to get some of the postgresql.org domains shifted over to
> the newly-installed venus server before we go beta.

Which docs are in the most desparate need of help?

Cheers,
D
-- 
David Fetter [email-masked] http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

---

From: Gavin Sherry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:28:07 +1000 (EST)

I've fixed dbsize here and will send it off once I get a second to test it
with multiple tablespaces.

I haven't looked at oid2name.

Bruce put together some ideas a few months back on what we want from
oid2name now (somewhere around here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2004-06/msg00263.php). Were
there any other suggestions?

Gavin

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [email-masked])
>
>
> !DSPAM:4112cc7c190631668695780!
>
>

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:35:51 -0400

> Which docs are in the most desparate need of help?

The problem is really that we've done only cursory documentation
additions for the features added in 8.0.  For instance, there are
reference pages for SAVEPOINT/ROLLBACK TO/RELEASE but there are still
many places that incorrectly say that we don't have nested transactions;
much less places that give examples involving using nested transactions
to solve real problems.  What I was thinking of doing was just trying to
read large sections of the docs and annotate places that are out of date
and need work.  If there are any particular areas you are familiar with,
you might want to claim responsibility for those.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 09:11:55 +0800

> course it's still open season for bug-fix patches.)

Tom, I haven't had a comment on the 'restoring LOB comments' patch, nor 
on the two tablespace failures that Gavin and I brought up (Or the 
original schema tablespace problem you found when you committed).  They 
could probably be post-beta perhaps though...

Chris

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 21:16:18 -0400

> could probably be post-beta perhaps though...

Yeah, those are all bug fixes and okay for post-beta I think.  But which
two tablespace failures are you thinking of exactly?  The last couple
weeks have been a bit of a blur for me...

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 12:53:00 +0800

> weeks have been a bit of a blur for me...

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?q=tablespaces+group:comp.databases.postgresql.hackers&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.databases.postgresql.hackers&scoring=d&selm=Pine.LNX.4.58.0407281411470.17889%40linuxworld.com.au&rnum=4

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?q=tablespaces+group:comp.databases.postgresql.hackers&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.databases.postgresql.hackers&scoring=d&selm=4107211C.2050508%40familyhealth.com.au&rnum=5

Sorry about crappy long urls :/

Chris

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:54:34 -0400

> http://groups.google.com.au/groups?q=tablespaces+group:comp.databases.postgresql.hackers&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.databases.postgresql.hackers&scoring=d&selm=Pine.LNX.4.58.0407281411470.17889%…

Okay, this is a the-error-message-could-be-better gripe.  Fair enough,
but it's not top of my priority list ...

> http://groups.google.com.au/groups?q=tablespaces+group:comp.databases.postgresql.hackers&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.databases.postgresql.hackers&scoring=d&selm=4107211C.2050508%40familyhealth.co…

I think the problem here is that we don't have a syntax for saying
"my tablespace is the same as my database's default tablespace" or "my
tablespace is the same as my schema's default tablespace", when there is
an intermediate object (schema or table) that isn't using that
tablespace. (Note that "TABLESPACE pg_default" does definitely not mean
either of these.)

This is fixable with some special syntax but is it worth the trouble?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 00:03:55 -0400 (EDT)

Where are we on this?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Lane wrote:
> TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to [email-masked]
> 

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:14:38 +0800

The other tablespace problem is if you drop a tablespace that schema in 
another db uses, it's broken still I think.

Chris

---

From: Gavin Sherry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:25:52 +1000 (EST)

> Where are we on this?

I submitted a patch for the above with the subject:

[PATCHES] CREATE DATABASE with tablespace fix

Gavin

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 23:17:00 -0400 (EDT)

> http://groups.google.com.au/groups?q=tablespaces+group:comp.databases.postgresql.hackers&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.databases.postgresql.hackers&scoring=d&selm=Pine.LNX.4.58.0407281411470.17889%…

I am confused.  You had:

	template1=# create tablespace blah location '/home/swm/tbl/tspc1/';
	CREATE TABLESPACE
	template1=# create table foo (i int) tablespace blah;
	CREATE TABLE
	template1=# create database foo tablespace blah;
	ERROR:  could not initialize database directory
	DETAIL:  Directory "/home/swm/tbl/data/pg_tblspc/17227/17230" already
	exists.

but with CVS head I see:

	$ psql -a test </tmp/x
	create tablespace blah location '/bjm/tmp';
	CREATE TABLESPACE
	create table foo (i int) tablespace blah;
	CREATE TABLE
	create database foo tablespace blah;
	CREATE DATABASE

However, I don't see any CVS commit that fixed this?  What am I missing?

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 23:37:29 -0400 (EDT)

> This is fixable with some special syntax but is it worth the trouble?

Seems we have to come up with some solution or dump/reload will not put
things back in the same place for certain unusual configurations.

Added to open items:

	* fix ambiguity for objects using default tablespaces

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 23:46:13 -0400

> However, I don't see any CVS commit that fixed this?  What am I missing?

The failure case is where the template database has a conflicting
table.  You didn't show us where you created that table, but it
evidently was not in template1.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Gavin Sherry <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:02:28 +1000 (EST)

> 	create database foo tablespace blah;

You need to create a condition where by the new database would have to
merge a table into its default database. If you did the above in the
template1 database, you would get the same effect.

I sent a (partial) fix for this, which included some documentation
improvements. However, I posed a question. *digs*

was the subject.

Gavin

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:48:24 -0400 (EDT)

> evidently was not in template1.

OK, reproduced by using template1:
	
	DETAIL:  Directory "/u/pgsql/data/pg_tblspc/17229/17232" already exists.

Gavin has posted a patch for this so I will put it in the patch queue.