Subject: [patch] Typo in ECPG Docs

From: Andreas Seltenreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 17:22:00 +0200

Hi,

I just stumbled across a spurious indefinite article in the ECPG docs.
See the attached patch.

Speaking of indefinite articles, there seems to be some inconsistency
in using "a SQL ..." and "an SQL ..." throughout the docs. This could
probably be easily fixed using a script, but I'm not sure if I'm
missing some grammatical details here, since English isn't my native
language.

regards,
Andreas

Index: ecpg.sgml
===================================================================
RCS file: /projects/cvsroot/pgsql/doc/src/sgml/ecpg.sgml,v
retrieving revision 1.63
diff -u -r1.63 ecpg.sgml
--- ecpg.sgml	22 Jan 2005 22:56:35 -0000	1.63
+++ ecpg.sgml	9 May 2005 03:44:13 -0000
@@ -446,7 +446,7 @@
    </para>
 
    <para>
-    The declarations are also echoed to the output file as a normal C
+    The declarations are also echoed to the output file as normal C
     variables, so there's no need to declare them again.  Variables
     that are not intended to be used in SQL commands can be declared
     normally outside these special sections.

---

From: Neil Conway <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 22:51:16 +1000

> I just stumbled across a spurious indefinite article in the ECPG docs.

Patch applied to HEAD and REL8_0_STABLE. Thanks for the patch.

> missing some grammatical details here, since English isn't my native

Good point, it would be good to make this consistent. I would guess "an 
SQL ..." is the correct variant, but I don't have an authoritative 
reference. AFAIK there is no grammatical difference, anyway.

-Neil