Subject: Article doing a basic comparison of MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL

From: Gavin Sherry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:49:49 +1000 (EST)

Though it was published some time ago, I only just came across this
article:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/oracle/115560

The comparison criteria is primative but PostgreSQL does well. I must say,
I was thrown by this comment:

"That web site includes a very good installation document. However, post
installation and getting started documentation is very limited. I hope
that that will change in time."

I find this peculiar, considering this:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/tutorial-start.html

Now, perhaps the author's conclusion is just bogus but can anyone think of
better ways in which we could ease people into PostgreSQL?

Thanks,

Gavin

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:08:19 -0700

>better ways in which we could ease people into PostgreSQL?
I think more than likely it just isn't obvious where the tutorial is.
I just went to the website, I clicked documentation, no immediate
mention of the tutorial. Then I click 8.0, where is the tutorial?

Oh... it is in the beginning of the 1300 pages of documentation.

Honestly, I didn't even know it was there. Of course I haven't had
need for it, but if I couldn't readily find it in 1 click (which is what
it should be) then a guy writing an article isn't going to either.

The tutorial/introduction should be a nice fat link in the center of
the page when you click documentation.

Right now when you click documentation you get this:

There is a wealth of PostgreSQL information available online. This 
section contains current <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals> and 
archived <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/archive> manuals for 
PostgreSQL users, as well as frequently asked questions 
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq>.

You can learn what's new <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew> in 
the latest release, and view a listing of books 
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/books> written about PostgreSQL (some of 
which are available in their entirety online). Technical documentation 
<http://techdocs.postgresql.org> is also available in this section.

Which should probably be:

There is a wealth of PostgreSQL information available online. If you are 
new to PostgreSQL we strongly suggest you check out
the latest <BOLD>Tutorial</BOLD>. This section contains current 
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals> and archived 
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/archive> manuals for PostgreSQL 
users, as well as frequently asked questions 
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq>.

You can learn what's new <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew> in 
the latest release, and view a listing of books 
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/books> written about PostgreSQL (some of 
which are available in their entirety online). Technical documentation 
<http://techdocs.postgresql.org> is also available in this section.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>Thanks,
>
>Gavin
>
>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
>       choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
>       match
>  
>

---

From: Andrew Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:51:14 +0100

> Oh... it is in the beginning of the 1300 pages of documentation.

I think that the documentation should be split (back out) into separate 
books -- tutorial, reference, release notes, etc.  It is too unwieldy as 
it is.  The release notes at least should be separate -- I was rather 
pissed off when I discovered that what I had printed out included 
changes for releases I had no interest in.  If the documents have been 
amalgamated to suit a publisher then I feel even more agrieved -- I 
resent having to pay for padding and resent the waste of paper.   With a 
duplex printer the documentation fills two binders; printed simplex it 
would be more like four!

Andrew Ford
ford-mason.co.uk

---

From: "Jim C. Nasby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:26:51 -0500

> it is.  The release notes at least should be separate -- I was rather 

I always have trouble finding info, just about anywhere on the site, and
the docs are no exception. I generally just use the SQL reference, but
there's still a lot of info that's not in that reference.

In this case, I think the real issue is a matter of website design. It
would be good if there was a prominent 'Getting started' link somewhere.
-- 
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      [email-masked]
Pervasive Software        http://pervasive.com        512-569-9461