Subject: Build man pages: unkown SDATA

From: Mark Kirkwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:54:22 +1300

I've been trying to build the man pages in 8.2, unfortunately I am seeing:

$ make man
...
onsgmls  postgres.sgml | sgmlspl 
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.14/helpers/docbook2man-spec.pl 
--lowercase --section l --date "`date '+%Y-%m-%d'`"
Unknown SDATA: [mdash ] at 
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.14/helpers/docbook2man-spec.pl line 
1239, <STDIN> line 10730.
make: *** [man] Error 9

Doing a bit more hacking I find that the following will also cause this 
error:

mdash, pi, uuml, ouml, egrave, quot, scaron, oslash

Do I need to specifically point docbook2man-spec.pl at a certain 
stylesheet? Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 02:47:30 +0200

> 1239, <STDIN> line 10730.

You need a more recent version of docbook2man-spec.pl.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

---

From: Mark Kirkwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:14:31 +1300

> You need a more recent version of docbook2man-spec.pl.
Thanks Peter, I'll hunt one up - incidentally, both FreeBSD 6 and Gentoo 
2006.1 use this same version of docbook-utils :-(, so it means going 
outside the ports/portage structures (pity).

Cheers

Mark

---

From: Mark Kirkwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:12:55 +1300

> outside the ports/portage structures (pity).

Actually it doesn't (well not on Gentoo anyway). The docbook2X package 
has Thomas Lockhart's version of docbook2man-spec.pl, which works. 
Unfortunately there does not appear to be a port of this for Freebsd 
that I could find (I guess it is not that vital - can probably just copy 
the single file from the Gentoo package).

So - bottom line is that docbook2X *not* docbook-utils (or 
docbook-sgml-utils) is the package required. The Pg documentation does 
actually say this (requires docbook2X for Linux), but I was confused by 
the lack of any such package on Freebsd (oops).

One other point for those who wish to struggle with this - ./configure 
does not detect the -spec file, you need to set D2MDIR to where it lives 
(/usr/bin on this Gentoo dist) before trying to build the man pages.

Cheers

Mark