Subject: Still no support for XML-GUIs on PostgreSQL Docs?

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:45:02 -0700

Folks,

I'd the impression, from a discussion last year, that we had upgraded to 
DocBook2 and I would be able to use an XML editor to work on docs and 
validate them.   But that didn't happen, I take it?

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:40:13 -0700

People,

BTW, that was not a criticism, I just want to know because I'm having a 
frustrating time and want to know if it's me or the docs.

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:20:51 +0200

Josh Berkus wrote:
> I'd the impression, from a discussion last year, that we had upgraded
> to DocBook2 and I would be able to use an XML editor to work on docs
> and validate them.   But that didn't happen, I take it?

There is no such thing as "DocBook2", and I don't recall any workable 
proposals to change the source to XML.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

---

From: Michael Glaesemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:50:59 +0900

> proposals to change the source to XML.

As I recall, there were two primary issues in moving from SGML DocBook 
to XML DocBook.

Marked sections: SGML DocBook (which is currently used) supports 
parameter entities to be used to include or exclude certain sections of 
material depending on the desired output. Profiling in XML DocBook may 
be able to accomplish the same task.

XML DocBook toolchain: making sure the tools to produce the 
documentation in its myriad forms (e.g., html, manpages, PDF) works.

I hadn't heard of anyone attempting to convert the docs to XML DocBook 
to see if it can be done, which is probably what needs to be done to 
see if works.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com