Subject: error codes table

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 00:04:29 +0300

Ref: http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/errcodes-appendix.html

It seems to me that the second and the third column in that table are
redundant.  The third is just the second with underscores and lower-case
letters.  I find this pretty confusing, first because of the sheer
(apparent) volume of information, and second because one might be led to
believe that there is a difference between the columns hidden somewhere.

I suppose at one point it was the intent that the second column contain
a human-readable explanation, but that hasn't been realized.

Also, the sentence above the table "The PL/pgSQL condition name for each
error code is the same as the phrase shown in the table, with
underscores substituted for spaces. For example, code 22012, DIVISION BY
ZERO, has condition name DIVISION_BY_ZERO." is redundant or obsolete.

I think we should just remove the second column from the table and
rephrase the paragraph above it accordingly.  At some point in the
future we could introduce a separate optional data field that adds
actual additional information about the error codes.

---

From: Ferdian Zaman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 07:57:58 +0800 (SGT)

________________________________
From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
To: pgsql-docs <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 4:04 AM
Subject: [DOCS] error codes table

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs

---

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 00:08:14 -0300

> actual additional information about the error codes.
+1. Moreover, I suggest to lowercase condition names in PL/pgSQL documentation 
because it is inconsistent (I know that it says that the condition names are 
case-sensitive but first time I saw them I've started thinking they could be 
different macros but they weren't).

-- 
   Euler Taveira de Oliveira - Timbira       http://www.timbira.com.br/
   PostgreSQL: Consultoria, Desenvolvimento, Suporte 24x7 e Treinamento