Subject: to_date 'J' format misunderstanding

From: Alex Ignatov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 14:42:43 +0300

In Table 9-22. Template Patterns for Date/Time Formatting we have

'J    Julian Day (days since November 24, 4714 BC at midnight)'

But there is no any information about what calender use for date of 
November 24, 4714 BC. From wikipedia we know that it is
November 24, 4714 BC, in the proleptic Gregorian calendar.
I think information about Gregorian calendar must include in 
documentation for misunderstaning exclusion

PS. In oracle docs we have following info about formatting:

' J Yes Julian day; the number of days since January 1, 4712 BC. Number 
specified with J must be integers.'

again no any information about what calendar is using for  date January 
1, 4712 BC  %)

-- 
Alex Ignatov
Postgres Professional: http://www.postgrespro.com
The Russian Postgres Company

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 12:39:47 -0400

> November 24, 4714 BC, in the proleptic Gregorian calendar.

I don't think we need to overdocument this.  The Julian Day is defined
outside of PostgreSQL, and those who are considering using it will know
about these kinds of details.