Subject: 25.3. Continuous Archiving : Unix examples with Windows-style variables %-$

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 09:54:13 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/continuous-archiving.html
Description:

Most examples in "25.3. Continuous Archiving and Point-in-Time Recovery
(PITR)" use Unix commands and paths, but all variables are written as
Windows batch file variables (Windows "%var" / Unix "$var").

For example, the first one on the page has

    archive_command = 'test ! -f /mnt/server/archivedir/%f && cp %p
/mnt/server/archivedir/%f'  # Unix

Instead of

    archive_command = 'test ! -f /mnt/server/archivedir/$f && cp $p
/mnt/server/archivedir/$f'  # Unix

or possibly

   archive_command = '[ -f /mnt/server/archivedir/$f ] || cp $p
/mnt/server/archivedir/$f'  # Unix

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/continuous-archiving.html

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 08:54:39 -0400

Hi,

> On Aug 23, 2018, at 5:54 AM, PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Windows batch file variables (Windows "%var" / Unix "$var”).

These are special variables that PostgreSQL replaces regardless of
operating system. Per the paragraph above the examples:

	"In archive_command, %p is replaced by the path name of the
	file to archive, while %f is replaced by only the file name.”

Thanks,

Jonathan

---

From: Milivoj Ivkovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 13:00:17 +0200

> operating system. Per the paragraph above the examples:

Oops! Sorry. Should read more thoroughly before sending stupid comments 
on this excellent documentation!

Thank you for taking the time to clarify.

Mi