Subject: Wrong startup script of PostgreSQL 9.1.2 under OpenBSD 5.1

From: Denis Lapshin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:37:35 +0400

On page http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/server-start.html
was published a wrong startup script for automatic starting PostgeSQL
during boot under OpenBSD.

Here is a working one which should be placed into /etc/rc.local file:

if [ -x /usr/local/bin/pg_ctl -a -x /usr/local/bin/postgres ]; then
   su - _postgresql -c '/usr/local/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/postgresql/data
start -l /var/postgresql/logfile -s'
   echo -n 'postgresql'
fi

Please correct your manual pages ASAP in order to prevent spending
time to fix it.

Denis

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:02:45 -0400

> start -l /var/postgresql/logfile -s'

Right offhand it's not apparent to me that either of these can be said
to be "right" or "wrong".  You are making different assumptions about
the installation directory and user name than what is in the
documentation, but your assumptions aren't more right than the docs'.
As stated there, the examples use generic choices that may need to be
adjusted for particular systems.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Hidvégi Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 19:07:34 +0200

Hello there,

I have already posted this problem several months ago, there was no change 
in the documentation since then. It's not about the installation directory 
or username, under the new OpenBSD's the parameter ordering of 'su' differs 
from the older versions, the right order is like Denis writes.

Gábor Hidvégi

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Tom Lane" <[email-masked]>
To: "Denis Lapshin" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Wrong startup script of PostgreSQL 9.1.2 under OpenBSD 
5.1

> -- 
> Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
> To make changes to your subscription:
> http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs
>

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:25:43 -0400

> from the older versions, the right order is like Denis writes.

Ah, okay (and I confirmed this with a bit of googling).  Will fix,
thanks for the explanation.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:41:37 -0400

> from the older versions, the right order is like Denis writes.

BTW, a little further googling turns up the information that this isn't
OpenBSD-specific; there are a number of platforms where "su -c" doesn't
act like it does on Linux.  But "su username -c 'command'" works the
same everywhere.  I'll adjust the generic text as well as the OpenBSD
paragraph in light of this.

			regards, tom lane