Subject: PLEASE HELP ME URGENT about choosing only the ones that i want while entering the data to postgresql with pgaccess on linux or windows or pgadmin II

From: Himmet Karaman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:06:23 +0300

Can anyone help me about how can i configure it to be able to choose 
only some types of data (for example to enter the name of the city to 
one of the columns [or fields] the one who is entering th data must be 
able to choose only the cities that i want to be added and how can i 
make it possible to seem like a drop down menu in pgAdmin II or in 
pgAccess  it while someone entering data to the postgresql) while 
entering new data to postgresql in pgadmin II or in pgaccess .....
Thank you .....

-- 

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
  Research Assistant
  Himmet KARAMAN
  Istanbul Technical University
  Geodesy and Photogrammetry Eng. Department
  34469 Maslak/ISTANBUL TURKEY
  Tel	: +90 (212) 285 67 83
  Fax	: +90 (212) 285 34 20
  Web	: http://atlas.cc.itu.edu.tr/~karamanhi 
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

---

From: Tim Ellis <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Apr 2003 11:13:05 -0700

> able to choose only the cities that i want to be added and how can i 

You want code tables. You can enforce the referential integrity via
triggers or, if you like living on the edge, in the application.

This isn't a difficult problem, but nor is it the type of thing you'll
get resolved on mailing lists. You need a database developer, or you
need to get some books and become one yourself.

-- 
Tim Ellis
Senior Database Architect and author, tedia2sql (http://tedia2sql.tigris.org)
If this helped you, http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=philovivero

---

From: Juraj Fedel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 00:43:40 +0200

> need to get some books and become one yourself.

Is there some online books (or other manual) about developing databases?
Juraj

---

From: Jeff Fitzmyers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 19:22:10 -0700

A few articles to help get started:
http://phpbuilder.com/columns/index.php3?cat=1&subcat=1

I would also read the docs:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/ 
view.php?version=7.3&idoc=0&file=index.html

Have fun, Jeff

> ---------------------------(end of  
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
> subscribe-nomail command to [email-masked] so that your
> message can get through to the mailing list cleanly
>