Subject: Re: How configure Oracle 9i not case sensitive...

From: Hans Forbrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:13:04 GMT

Eloy Mier Pérez wrote:

> How can i do this ?

Not possible.  

Oracle works upper-case only for dictionary unless using "". Many have found
this to be "a good thing", others think it's a limitation.  Not worth
debating!

Best you learn to code to the documented limits, or switch.  

/Hans
Please do not cross post to all these groups.  (Or are you simply trolling
and trying to get a fight between the Oracle and Postgres groups?)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 23 Apr 2004 07:40:26 -0700

"Eloy Mier Pérez" <[email-masked]> wrote in message news:<[email-masked]>...
> Hi, i would configure Oracle 9i not case sensitive and in the table names
> dont use ""...
> 
> How can i do this ?
> 
> Thanks in advance

You can't
Stick to sqlserver.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

---

From: [email-masked] (Ross Ferris)
Date: 24 Apr 2004 08:32:38 -0700

Better still, why not switch to D3 .... you can make files (tables)
case insensitive if you want - you can even selectively make the data
case insensitive, which can be "useful" for searches .... oh, if you
are using the "embedded tables" feature of 9i, the whole concept of
storing multi-values was born in the "Pick" style database arena, so
it will feel like coming home !

There may be some limitations though .... one of the threads in
computer.databases.pick is indicating that you may have to look at
application partitioning across multiple machines if you are looking
at supporting > 10,000 active, concurrent users (50-100,000 with web
deployment), but this is probably more than you want to run off a
single 9i box anyway, so probably not a practical issue to consider.

But, if you are into building an empire, populated with DBA's and
tuning experts, the multi-valued databases are probably not for you,
as a thread in comp.databases.theory indicates that TCO on
multi-valued style databases may be a fraction of Oracle.

Oh, and if you haven't heard of "multi-valued" or "Pick-style"
databases, you are in good company - one of the best kept secrets of
the industry, a virtual black hole, because once a developer devles
in, they will not want to return ! If you need a "brand name" to get
the switch past management, justb tell them that you want to join the
4 million or so users of IBM's U2 product - or you you prefer, there
are a number of other providers of (roughly) equivalent products in
the market.

And if you don't want to hear this message, don't blame me, I'm just
responding to a multiple cross-post, and enjor stirring the pot from
time to time !

[email-masked] wrote in message news:<[email-masked]>...

---

From: [email-masked] (Joel Garry)
Date: 26 Apr 2004 15:45:08 -0700

[email-masked] (Ross Ferris) wrote in message news:<[email-masked]>...

> are a number of other providers of (roughly) equivalent products in

Pick?  Wasn't that written by 3 guys in a condo on the beach in Long
Beach who had to hide all their stuff every time the landlord came by
because commercial uses were not zoned there?

Good troll!

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.pickwiki.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?action=history&id=KenSimms