Subject: Correction for 9.6 documentation for OpenBSD

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 05:29:35 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/server-start.html
Description:

OpenBSD 6.1 i386
PostgreSQL 9.6

In Section 18.3. Starting the Database Server, I did something different
from the documentation. Instead of editing the file /etc/rc.local, as the
documentation indicated, I ran the command

doas rcctl set postgresql status on

That command changed the file /etc/rc.conf.local. When I rebooted, the
PostgreSQL server was running.

---

From: Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 22:57:12 +0200

> On 3 Apr 2018, at 07:29, PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

That’s because your postgresql server was installed via the ports system, which
provides an rc.d startup script for use with rcctl.  The referenced
documentation describes how to start the server without a service script.

That being said, since the ports tree is the “recommended” method for
installing software perhaps the documentation should mention it?  Perhaps
something along the lines of the below (a similar stanza could be added for
FreeBSD but I don’t it well enough to make an attempt).

cheers ./daniel

diff --git a/doc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml b/doc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml
index 1c92e7df75..01f5eacfcc 100644
--- a/doc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml
+++ b/doc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml
@@ -377,6 +377,11 @@ if [ -x /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -a -x /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres ]; then
     su -l postgres -c '/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start -s -l /var/postgresql/log -D /usr/local/pgsql/data'
     echo -n ' postgresql'
 fi
+</programlisting>
+      If <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> is installed via ports, it can
+      be started as a service with <application>rcctl</application>:
+<programlisting>
+rcctl set postgresql status on
 </programlisting>
      </para>
     </listitem>

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 12:12:10 +0200

> FreeBSD but I don’t it well enough to make an attempt).

That part of the documentation describes how to set up a PostgreSQL
instance from the sources.  So that is what a packager might read.  If
you want to know how a package sets things up, you need to read the
package's documentation.

We could document the setup of popular packages in the main
documentation, but we currently don't, and we would have to do it more
consistently across platforms.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services