Subject: Windows minimum system requirements

From: Lyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 18:05:47 +0000

Hi All,
   I'm really not having any luck finding these on postgresql.org or 
enterprisedb.com

Lyle

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs

---

From: Euler Taveira <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 16:20:19 -0200

>   I'm really not having any luck finding these on postgresql.org or
You don't inform your version and how do you want to install postgres (via
source code or binaries), however, [1] and/or [2] contain what you are looking
for.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/supported-platforms.html
[2] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/install-windows.html

-- 
   Euler Taveira de Oliveira - Timbira       http://www.timbira.com.br/
   PostgreSQL: Consultoria, Desenvolvimento, Suporte 24x7 e Treinamento

---

From: Lyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 18:41:54 +0000

> source code or binaries), however, [1] and/or [2] contain what you are looking

Your right, however I couldn't find system requirements for any version. 
I've just installed 9.2.2 onto Windows from binary. It's common for 
software packages to have a section titled "System Requirements" like 
Oracle has here:
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/install.112/e18803/toc.htm#CIHFEBGE

For PostgreSQL all I have managed to conclude is:
OS: Windows 2000 (for Windows version)
RAM: Unspecified
Hard Disk: Unspecified
CPU: Any x86

I can see from the install folder it has used 180Mb, but it may well 
have installed files elsewhere. Obviously it depends on install options. 
Surely there must be a minimum RAM requirement? I can't see it running 
well on a 486 with 4Mb RAM.

Lyle

---

From: Hidvégi Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 08:05:53 +0100

Since the source for all platforms is almost the same, I think you can guess 
the minimum system requirements from my experience:

I'm running PostgreSQL 9.1.3 on a 400 MHz MIPS processor, which has got a 
processing power equal of a 140 MHz P4. The PostgreSQL server consumes 8 
Megabytes of RAM just after starting it, and by default it uses 32 MB of 
shared memory. My installation package after compiling the source is 24 MB.
As you can see, the requirements are quite low, it's hard to find a reliable 
working PC which is not faster and better than the above one.

Gábor Hidvégi

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Lyle" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2013 7:41 PM
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Windows minimum system requirements

> I can see from the install folder it has used 180Mb, but it may well have 
> installed files elsewhere. Obviously it depends on install options. Surely 
> there must be a minimum RAM requirement? I can't see it running well on a 
> 486 with 4Mb RAM.
>
>
> Lyle
>
>
>
> --