Subject: found a very confusing and maybe outdated sentence

From: Susanne Ebrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 21:07:08 +0200

Hello,

It is in start.sgml. You can see it here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/tutorial-accessdb.html

The last two sentences on the page:

" If PostgreSQL is installed correctly you can also
type man psql at the operating system shell prompt
to see the documentation. In this tutorial we will not
use these features explicitly, but you can use them
yourself when it is helpful."

Isn't that totally outdated?

Is "man" really working on Windows?

Also the sentence says that the whole product isn't correct
installed just because docs aren't installed. Which also isn't
really true.

Honesty, I just would like to drop the whole sentences.

What do you think?

Susanne

-- 
Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services
www.2ndQuadrant.com

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:13:27 -0400

> Honesty, I just would like to drop the whole sentences.

+1 for deleting the entire sentence.

-- 
Robert Haas
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Susanne Ebrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 09:31:06 +0200

> +1 for deleting the entire sentence.

Here is the patch for removing the whole sentence.

Susanne

diff --git a/doc/src/sgml/start.sgml b/doc/src/sgml/start.sgml
index 4275bf8..0bfc25e 100644
--- a/doc/src/sgml/start.sgml
+++ b/doc/src/sgml/start.sgml
@@ -403,11 +403,7 @@ mydb=#
     command shell. (For more internal commands, type
     <literal>\?</literal> at the <command>psql</command> prompt.)  The
     full capabilities of <command>psql</command> are documented in
-    <xref linkend="app-psql">.  If <productname>PostgreSQL</> is
-    installed correctly you can also type <literal>man psql</literal>
-    at the operating system shell prompt to see the documentation.  In
-    this tutorial we will not use these features explicitly, but you
-    can use them yourself when it is helpful.
+    <xref linkend="app-psql">.
    </para>
 
   </sect1>

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 19:51:46 -0400

> Here is the patch for removing the whole sentence.

Hmm... this actually removes two sentences.  I've committed the
removal of the one we talked about; I don't particularly see any
reason to remove the following one also.

---

From: Susanne Ebrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 10:06:04 +0200

On 04.04.2011 01:51, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 3:31 AM, Susanne Ebrecht<[email-masked]>  wrote:

Hello Robert,

the second sentence says "these features" - and I would understand:

these features == man pages

Means, I would understand that the two sentences belong together and
both talk about man pages.

When we don't mention man pages anymore then we not need the sentence
that tells that the tutorial won't take care about man pages.

Susanne

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 10:54:01 -0400

> that tells that the tutorial won't take care about man pages.

Oh, I interpreted that sentence to be talking about the features *of
psql*, not the man pages.