Subject: documentation build log is busted, and has been for awhile

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 19:55:53 -0400

Is anybody maintaining
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/buildlog.html
?

For some time now, that page has failed to update if the underlying
build fails, which makes it approximately completely useless.  A more
cosmetic but still annoying problem is that the build completion time
isn't shown correctly.  For example, the current contents of the page
are

	PostgreSQL Documentation Build Log
	
	Build started: 2010-05-26 22:39 UTC
	Build finished: + echo -n '' + date -u '+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M %Z'
	
	No changes in this build
	
	Build completed successfully.
	
	View or download the documentation.

even though somebody committed broken markup half an hour ago.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 20:00:46 -0400 (EDT)

> even though somebody committed broken markup half an hour ago.

I have fixed that commit.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 08:56:57 +0100

> even though somebody committed broken markup half an hour ago.

Iirc, that's built by one of Peter's scripts.

-- 
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise Postgres Company

---

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 22:51:58 +0200

> even though somebody committed broken markup half an hour ago.

hmm - maybe we should monitor as part of the main monitoring 
infrastructure just like we monitor the snapshot builds...
However if the docs failed to build for a while I wonder why the 
snapshots are still getting done...

Stefan

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 17:50:04 -0400

Stefan Kaltenbrunner <[email-masked]> writes:
>> build fails, which makes it approximately completely useless.

> snapshots are still getting done...

I think the job is running when it's supposed to, it's just failing to
update the output page when it fails.  The page updates PDQ when the
docs build is OK.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 18:42:20 -0400 (EDT)

> snapshots are still getting done...

Peter, I think I can fix the script if you would tell me how to update
it.  The code is based on a shell script I originally wrote.

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:03:47 -0400

> 	Build finished: + echo -n '' + date -u '+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M %Z'

I think both of these issues (certainly the latter) are fixed now.

Btw., the code and working space for this job are at ~petere/PGDOC/ on
developer.postgresql.org.  Anyone with a shell account can peek around
there.