Subject: characters or bytes?

From: Susanne Ebrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 23:20:41 +0100

Hello,

During translating start.sgml - I found a sentence where I am not sure
if it is correct.

tutorial-createdb.html

Second paragraph below the "permission denied to create a database" 
error message there is
the sentence:

" You can also create databases with other names. PostgreSQL allows
you to create any number of databases at a given site. Database names
must have an alphabetic first character and are limited to 63 characters
in length. ..."

Really 63 characters?
Shouldn't it be 63 bytes?

Susanne

-- 
Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services
www.2ndQuadrant.com

---

From: Susanne Ebrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:41:45 +0200

Hello,

During translating the docs I found the following sentence
in the tutorial section about createdb:

"Database names must have an alphabetic first character
and are limited to 63 characters"

I wondered - really characters? shouldn't it be bytes?

I just tested - creating a database by using German umlauts
let me get sure - it are bytes not characters.

Here is the patch with the correction - I just changed the word
characters into bytes.

Susanne

diff --git a/doc/src/sgml/start.sgml b/doc/src/sgml/start.sgml
index 766dd7e..4275bf8 100644
--- a/doc/src/sgml/start.sgml
+++ b/doc/src/sgml/start.sgml
@@ -242,7 +242,7 @@ createdb: database creation failed: ERROR:  permission denied to create database
     You can also create databases with other names.
     <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> allows you to create any
     number of databases at a given site.  Database names must have an
-    alphabetic first character and are limited to 63 characters in
+    alphabetic first character and are limited to 63 bytes in
     length.  A convenient choice is to create a database with the same
     name as your current user name.  Many tools assume that database
     name as the default, so it can save you some typing.  To create

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 21:30:58 -0400

> Here is the patch with the correction - I just changed the word

Committed and back-patched all the way.

-- 
Robert Haas
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 12:25:09 -0400 (EDT)

> Shouldn't it be 63 bytes?

Susanne, not sure you received a reply, but the documention has been
corrected to say "bytes".  Thanks.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

  + It's impossible for everything to be true. +

---

From: Susanne Ebrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 12:15:15 +0200

> corrected to say "bytes".  Thanks.

Bruce,

that is nice.
I got the answer already a few minutes after asking.

Anyway, thanks for taking care and replying,

Susanne