Subject: BUG #1414: DOC - pl/Perl hash tags missing

From: "Mike Blackwell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:25:55 GMT

The following bug has been logged online:

Bug reference:      1414
Logged by:          Mike Blackwell
Email address:      [email-masked]
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.0
Operating system:   N/A
Description:        DOC - pl/Perl hash tags missing
Details: 

In the pl/Perl section of the 8.0.0 manual, as viewed on the postgresql.org
web site, all perl code hash tags seem to be missing.  i.e. 

$hashref->

displays as 

$hashref->

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:47:34 -0500

> web site, all perl code hash tags seem to be missing.  i.e. 

Yeah, I see the same; but it's not in the devel docs.  Compare
	http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/plperl.html
	http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/plperl.html
and look for instance at the empcomp() function about halfway down
the page:
    return $emp-> + $emp->;
vs
    return $emp->{basesalary} + $emp->{bonus};

Any theories what's wrong here?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:01:11 -0500 (EST)

> web site, all perl code hash tags seem to be missing.  i.e. 

I have fixed this.  We now just need someone to rebuild the docs for
8.0.  The developers page will show the CVS version where this is fixed.

Thanks for the report.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---

From: Jeff Ross <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:45:33 -0700

I'm preparing to upgrade our PostgreSQL installation from 7.3.5 to 
8.0.0.  I downloaded, configured, compiled, and did gmake check and 
much to my surprise, 26 of the 96 tests failed.

Examination of regression.diffs shows that 1 of the failures is random 
(and it is ignored) but 23 of the 26 errors are:

! psql: could not send startup packet: Broken pipe

Interestingly enough, if I load the source code onto a 1GB ram disk and 
configure, compile and check it there, all 96 tests pass.

Hardware is RAID 1 using 2 disks with one additional disk as a hot 
spare, dual 2.66 GHz Xeon processors with 2 GB of RAM.  Operating 
system is OpenBSD 3.6.

I'm a little leary of upgrading my PostgreSQL installation with those 
kind of failure rates.

I'd appreciate any insight as to why so many tests would fail when run 
on disk and pass when run in ram.

Thanks,

Jeff Ross

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:40:06 -0500

> 8.0.  The developers page will show the CVS version where this is fixed.

Didn't you read the rest of the thread?  The problem was incorrect
filtering of the docs by the webpage template, not anything wrong with
the SGML.

The > to &gt; changes you made are no doubt good for cleanliness' sake,
but they were not necessary and there is no urgent reason to rebuild
anything.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:41:49 -0500 (EST)

> but they were not necessary and there is no urgent reason to rebuild

OK.  Thanks.