Subject: Missing doc for operator args in alter extension

From: Daniele Varrazzo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 02:10:19 +0100

Hello,

the documentation for ALTER EXTENSION is missing the description for
the arguments of the form ADD OPERATOR name (left_type, right_type).

Albeit it's pretty obvious what they are, it is not so obvious what to
do for unary operators (i.e. replace the type on the missing side with
NONE).

Patch to fix the doc attached.

-- Daniele
--- doc/src/sgml/ref/alter_extension.sgml.bak	2011-04-05 01:48:24.013675393 +0100
+++ doc/src/sgml/ref/alter_extension.sgml	2011-04-05 01:55:09.485454466 +0100
@@ -218,6 +218,18 @@
     </varlistentry>
 
     <varlistentry>
+     <term><replaceable class="parameter">left_type</replaceable></term>
+     <term><replaceable class="parameter">right_type</replaceable></term>
+     <listitem>
+      <para>
+       The data types of the operator's left and right operands.
+       If the operator is unary, the missing argument must be replaced
+       by <literal>NONE</>.
+      </para>
+     </listitem>
+    </varlistentry>
+
+    <varlistentry>
      <term><replaceable class="parameter">argname</replaceable></term>
 
      <listitem>

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 13:14:59 -0400

> Patch to fix the doc attached.

I think we might want to make the synopsis, as well as the description
of left_arg and right_arg, match what's on the DROP OPERATOR page.

Thoughts?

-- 
Robert Haas
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 21:49:50 -0400

> of left_arg and right_arg, match what's on the DROP OPERATOR page.

I think I borrowed that text from the COMMENT page.  Should probably
look at that too.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 10:25:18 -0400

> I think I borrowed that text from the COMMENT page.  Should probably

Looks like you just failed to borrow quite enough.  Additional
borrowing committed.