Subject: psql's ON_ERROR_STOP is misdocumented

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 11:20:09 -0400

The documentation for ON_ERROR_STOP states, or at least implies by
omission, that it only affects the behavior in non-interactive scripts:

	By default, if non-interactive scripts encounter an error, such
	as a malformed SQL command or internal meta-command, processing
	continues. This has been the traditional behavior of psql but it
	is sometimes not desirable. If this variable is set, script
	processing will immediately terminate. If the script was called
	from another script it will terminate in the same fashion. If
	the outermost script was not called from an interactive psql
	session but rather using the -f option, psql will return error
	code 3, to distinguish this case from fatal error conditions
	(error code 1).

However, it is easily proven that it *does* affect interactive commands;
just try two commands on one line:

regression=# select 1/0; select 2;
ERROR:  division by zero
 ?column? 
----------
        2
(1 row)

regression=# \set ON_ERROR_STOP 1
regression=# select 1/0; select 2;
ERROR:  division by zero
regression=# 

Can we get the docs changed to reflect reality?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 11:01:39 -0400

> regression=# select 1/0; select 2;

Here's an attempt at some suitable word-smithing.

-- 
Robert Haas
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:07:58 -0400

> Here's an attempt at some suitable word-smithing.

Hearing no objections, committed.

---

From: Josh Kupershmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:12:58 -0400

> Hearing no objections, committed.

s/variale/variable

Josh

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:14:18 -0400

> Hearing no objections, committed.

Looking at this a second time, it needs spell-checked.  "variale"?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 00:55:25 -0400

> Looking at this a second time, it needs spell-checked.  "variale"?

Picky, picky.  You say potato, I say potatoe.