Subject: Re: directly construct a query plan

From: "Steve Jackson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 17:28:32 -0500

Hi Tom,
Thanks!

So if I want to try out some new join algorithm, or even new type of plan 
nodes, before I feel the algorithms/nodes are so good that I want to enable 
the optimizer to consider them as options, is there any better way to 
experiment with possible new plans?

regards,
Steve

> > I plan to directly construct a query plan without going through the 
>query
> > optimizer, by manipulating the various data structures for representing
> > query plan tree and parse tree. Is there any facility inside/outside
> > postgresql that can be of help? Is there any known issue/difficulty 
>related
> > to this?
>
>Only that your code *will* break in each future release, because we have
>no hesitation about whacking those data structures around ...
>
>			regards, tom lane

_________________________________________________________________
On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on how to 
get there! http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=Retirement