Subject: Global dict name is listed inconsistently

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 09:17:35 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/plpython-sharing.html
Description:

Page https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/plpython-sharing.html  says:
"The global dictionary SD is available to store data between function
calls." few lines lower it says: "global data and function arguments from
myfunc are not available to myfunc2. The exception is the data in the GD
dictionary, as mentioned above." Note that the global dictionary is named
"SD" in the first quote and "GD" in the second one.

Please correct either first or second sentence.

Kind regards,

Adam Bielański
Happy PostgreSQL user :)

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 14:05:23 -0400

> Please correct either first or second sentence.

Well, the documentation is correct, but obviously not clear.  I have the
attached patch which modifies the documentation and clarifies this
issue.  Does it help you?

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +
diff --git a/doc/src/sgml/plpython.sgml b/doc/src/sgml/plpython.sgml
new file mode 100644
index d086ddf..60a5907
*** a/doc/src/sgml/plpython.sgml
--- b/doc/src/sgml/plpython.sgml
*************** SELECT * FROM multiout_simple_setof(3);
*** 768,776 ****
    <title>Sharing Data</title>
    <para>
     The global dictionary <varname>SD</varname> is available to store
!    data between function calls.  This variable is private static data.
     The global dictionary <varname>GD</varname> is public data,
!    available to all Python functions within a session.  Use with
     care.<indexterm><primary>global data</primary>
     <secondary>in PL/Python</secondary></indexterm>
    </para>
--- 768,776 ----
    <title>Sharing Data</title>
    <para>
     The global dictionary <varname>SD</varname> is available to store
!    private data between repeated calls to the same function.
     The global dictionary <varname>GD</varname> is public data,
!    that is available to all Python functions within a session;  use with
     care.<indexterm><primary>global data</primary>
     <secondary>in PL/Python</secondary></indexterm>
    </para>

---

From: Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 20:43:21 +0200

Yes, it does, thank you.

Now it's clear why there are two different names.

Best regards,

Adam Bielański

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 11:52:57 -0400

> Now it's clear why there are two different names. 

Patch backpatched through 9.3.  Thanks for the report.