Subject: Data Partition Encryption documentation

From: Adam Vande More <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 15:16:47 -0500

On this page http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/encryption-options.html,
"gbde" is listed as the method for encrypting block devices.  While
correct, "geli" is a much more appropriate mention as it's a more
powerful(e.g. aes-ni support) and secure(more ciphers, data
authentication,etc) solution.

Please CC any replies as I'm not subscribed to the list.

--
Adam Vande More

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 22:20:02 -0400

> authentication,etc) solution.

Could you provide an updated wording?  (E.g., should we just replace
gbde by geli, or list both?)

---

From: Adam Vande More <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:45:34 -0500

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM, Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > On this page
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/encryption-options.html,
Sure, here is a change that encompasses more than my original observation.
 Take or leave or modify what you wish.

pseudo diff

-"On Linux, encryption can be layered on top of a file system using a "loopback
device". This allows an entire file system partition to be encrypted on
disk, and decrypted by the operating system. On FreeBSD, the equivalent
facility is called GEOM Based Disk Encryption (gbde), and many other
operating systems support this functionality, including Windows."

+"There are at least two methods of encrypting a file system.  The first is
to use a tool which implements an encrypted file system.  On Linux,
eCryptfs or EncFS
are commonly used for this while FreeBSD uses PEFS.  The other and perhaps
more common method is to encrypt the block device a file system or swap
partition resides on.  These types of solutions can also provide full disk
encryption.  Linux generally uses dm-crypt + LUKS for this functionality
with other options dependent on kernel version/distro.  On FreeBSD, there
are two GEOM modules to encrypt block devices: geli & gbde with geli being
the preferred solution for speed, security, and options.  Many other
operating system have their own method of block device or full disk
encryption."

-- 
Adam Vande More

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 16:15:00 -0500

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 09:45:34PM -0500, Adam Vande More wrote:
> device". This allows an entire file system partition to be encrypted on disk,
> and decrypted by the operating system. On FreeBSD, the equivalent facility is
> called GEOM Based Disk Encryption (gbde), and many other operating systems
> support this functionality, including Windows."
> 
> +"There are at least two methods of encrypting a file system.  The first is to
> use a tool which implements an encrypted file system.  On Linux, eCryptfs or 
> EncFS are commonly used for this while FreeBSD uses PEFS.  The other and
> perhaps more common method is to encrypt the block device a file system or swap
> encryption.  Linux generally uses dm-crypt + LUKS for this functionality with
> other options dependent on kernel version/distro.  On FreeBSD, there are two
> GEOM modules to encrypt block devices: geli & gbde with geli being the
> preferred solution for speed, security, and options.  Many other operating
> system have their own method of block device or full disk encryption."

I have developed the attached doc patch to improve our details around
storage encryption.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

  + Everyone has their own god. +
diff --git a/doc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml b/doc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml
new file mode 100644
index ab51782..99c891a
*** a/doc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml
--- b/doc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml
*************** pg_dumpall -p 5432 | psql -d postgres -p
*** 1815,1826 ****
  
     <listitem>
      <para>
!      On Linux, encryption can be layered on top of a file system
!      using a <quote>loopback device</quote>. This allows an entire
!      file system partition to be encrypted on disk, and decrypted by the
!      operating system. On FreeBSD, the equivalent facility is called
!      GEOM Based Disk Encryption (<acronym>gbde</acronym>), and many
!      other operating systems support this functionality, including Windows.
      </para>
  
      <para>
--- 1815,1826 ----
  
     <listitem>
      <para>
!      Storage encryption can be performed at the file system level or the
!      block level.  Linux file system encryption options include eCryptfs
!      and EncFS, while FreeBSD uses PEFS.  Block level or full disk
!      encryption options include dm-crypt + LUKS on Linux and GEOM
!      modules geli and gbde on FreeBSD.  Many other operating systems
!      support this functionality, including Windows.
      </para>
  
      <para>

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 09:47:59 -0500

> I have developed the attached doc patch to improve our details around

Patch applied.