Subject: pg_extension_config_dump() function and sequences

From: Philippe BEAUDOIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 21:29:49 +0100

Hi all,

The page "Packaging Related Objects into an Extension" has a third 
chapter dealing with "Extension Configuration Tables". A final paragraph 
would be useful to explain that:

The pg_extension_config_dump() function can also register sequences, so 
that the current properties of the registered sequences are saved by 
pg_dump and later restored. The function can support sequences either 
explicitely created with an ALTER SEQUENCE statement or implicitely 
created when a table contains SERIAL or BIGSERIAL columns. Note that the 
sequences associated to SERIAL or BIGSERIAL columns of a configuration 
table need to be registered using the pg_extension_config_dump() 
function if one wants to restore the properties they had at pg_dump time.

Sorry for my English. This has to be probably reworded a bit.

Best regards.
Philippe Beaudoin.

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs

---

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 15:10:42 +0900

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 5:29 AM, Philippe BEAUDOIN <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The page "Packaging Related Objects into an Extension" has a third chapter
> dealing with "Extension Configuration Tables". A final paragraph would be
> useful to explain that:
>
> The pg_extension_config_dump() function can also register sequences, so that
> the current properties of the registered sequences are saved by pg_dump and
> later restored. The function can support sequences either explicitely
> created with an ALTER SEQUENCE statement or implicitely created when a table
> contains SERIAL or BIGSERIAL columns. Note that the sequences associated to
> SERIAL or BIGSERIAL columns of a configuration table need to be registered
> using the pg_extension_config_dump() function if one wants to restore the
> properties they had at pg_dump time.

Instead of a single paragraph, perhaps we could make things more
generic like in the attached?
-- 
Michael

---

From: Philippe BEAUDOIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 21:14:35 +0100

> generic like in the attached?
It looks much better, indeed.

Philippe.

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 23:17:19 -0400

> It looks much better, indeed.

committed

---

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 13:33:02 +0900

>> It looks much better, indeed.

Thanks. I completely forgot this patch..
-- 
Michael