Subject: Numeric Type Serial Range

From: Lewis Christie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 16:28:32 +1300

Hi,

I believe the range listed in Table 8-2. Numeric Types
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/datatype-numeric.html is
incorrect for the serial types.

E.g.
serial4 bytesautoincrementing integer1 to 2147483647This describes the
auto-incrementing behaviour, but in practice the range is -2147483648 to
+2147483647 as the only restriction on the created column is NOT NULL.

Tested on 9.3.10.

Regards,
Lewis Christie

---

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 15:24:25 +0900

> +2147483647 as the only restriction on the created column is NOT NULL.

I would believe that this refers to the default range of a serial column,
which begins at 1 once the table using it is declared.
-- 
Michael