Subject: Contrib module "xml2" status

From: Ian Lawrence Barwick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 01:58:10 +0900

Hi

I'm not sure if this is a documentation or hackers issue, but the
documentation page for contrib module "xml2" refers to PostgreSQL 8.4 in
the future tense:

   "It is planned that this module will be removed in PostgreSQL 8.4 in
favor of the newer standard API"

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/xml2.html

Are there any plans to remove this module by a forseeable date?

Regards

Ian Barwick

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:39:35 -0500

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM, Ian Lawrence Barwick
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> documentation page for contrib module "xml2" refers to PostgreSQL 8.4 in the
> future tense:
>

Nope.  I have repeatedly been voted down on removing it, and I've also
been repeatedly voted down on removing the deprecation text.  Could we
at least agree on changing the deprecation text to say "This module is
deprecated and may be removed in a future release"?

-- 
Robert Haas
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

-- 
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 18:56:15 +0100

> deprecated and may be removed in a future release"?

Not reopening the actual discussion about rmeoving it, but assuming
we're not, strong +1 on changing the deprecation message. And don't
forget to backpatch the change so it shows up in the old versions of
the docs as well.

-- 
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs

---

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 13:06:27 -0500

> forget to backpatch the change so it shows up in the old versions of

Yes, we should change it to remove the reference to 8.4. The point is we 
can remove the module when someone fixes and replaces the functionality 
that's left in there that some people rely on. So far nobody has stepped 
up to the plate, although now that we have lateral a sane replacement 
for xpath_table might well be a lot easier to achieve.  If someone is 
interested in working on this I'd be happy to hear about it. Maybe it 
would be a good Google SOC project.

cheers

andrew

---

From: Ian Lawrence Barwick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:25:31 +0900

2013/2/22 Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>:
>>>> the
> Yes, we should change it to remove the reference to 8.4.

Documentation patch attached.

> The point is we can
> remove the module when someone fixes and replaces the functionality that's
> left in there that some people rely on. So far nobody has stepped up to the
> plate, although now that we have lateral a sane replacement for xpath_table
> might well be a lot easier to achieve.  If someone is interested in working
> on this I'd be happy to hear about it. Maybe it would be a good Google SOC
> project.

It might be worth adding an explicit entry in the TODO list for removing this
and summarising what needs to be done.

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo#XML

Regards

Ian Barwick

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 15:46:37 -0500

> Documentation patch attached.

done

---

From: Kevin Hale Boyes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 18:00:11 -0700

> done

The patch included the word 'so' in the email address by accident.

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 12:20:13 -0500

> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo#XML

I think this is already covered in this TODO item:

	Restructure XML and /contrib/xml2 functionality
	
	    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-02/msg02314.php
	    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-03/msg00017.php 

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

  + It's impossible for everything to be true. +