Subject: Publishing PG docs

From: 김기성 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 13:18:50 +0900

Dear,

We are a postgreSQL company in South Korea.
As a one of out efforts to spread postgreSQL in our country,
we plan to publish the Korean version of the postgreSQL documentation as a
printed book
via the Acorn publisher(which is one of the biggest IT publisher in Korea).

But we think that we should check and solve some licensing issues
with regards to the copyrights of the PG docs.

We will translate the PG docs to the Korean language, and publish the
translated book.
And Acorn publisher will sell the books commercially,
which means that they will seek to make a commercial incomes by selling the
books.

Is there any issues with selling the translated book commercially?
We know that the English version was sold by Furtus.com (Is it alive?).
Any body who is concerned to this issue, please, let us know and give some
helps.

Thank you, everybody.

Kisung Kim.

(C)Bitnine, Kisung Kim, Ph.D
https://sites.google.com/site/kisungresearch/
E-mail : [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>Office phone : 070-4800-3321
Mobile phone : 010-7136-0834
Fax : 02-568-1332

---

From: Kisung Kim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 14:22:14 +0900

Dear,

We are a postgreSQL company in South Korea.
As a one of our efforts to spread postgreSQL in our country,
we plan to publish the Korean version of the postgreSQL documentation as a
printed book
via Acorn publisher(which is one of the biggest IT publisher in Korea).

Thank you, everybody.

Kisung Kim.

---

From: Tair Sabirgaliev <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 17:25:44 +0600

Hi,

The documentation has Copyright notice here: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/LEGALNOTICE.html
I’m not a lawyer, but basically it lists 3 paragraphs to be included in all copies, modified versions or other uses.
Though not sure how this applies to to ‘translations’..

-- 
Tair Sabirgaliev
Bee Software, LLP

On July 20, 2015 at 11:22:49, Kisung Kim ([email-masked]) wrote:

Dear,

We are a postgreSQL company in South Korea.
As a one of our efforts to spread postgreSQL in our country,
we plan to publish the Korean version of the postgreSQL documentation as a printed book
via Acorn publisher(which is one of the biggest IT publisher in Korea).

We will translate the PG docs to the Korean language, and publish the translated book.
And Acorn publisher will sell the books commercially, 
which means that they will seek to make a commercial incomes by selling the books.

Is there any issues with selling the translated book commercially?
We know that the English version was sold by Furtus.com (Is it alive?).
Any body who is concerned to this issue, please, let us know and give some helps.

Thank you, everybody.

Kisung Kim.

Office phone : 070-4800-3321

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 12:30:50 -0700

Mr. Kim,

> Any body who is concerned to this issue, please, let us know and give

The documentation is licensed as open source, under the PostgreSQL
license.  As long as you include a copy of the license in the book,
printing it and selling it is perfectly legal.

There's also the issue of using the PostgreSQL trademark.  While this
use of the trademark (on a copy of the documentation) is explicitly
allowed within the Trademark Policy
(https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy) you can get a
specific authorization by emailing the PostgreSQL Core Team
([email-masked]).

Finally, if you're doing this: how about some help translating the
PostgreSQL documentation and error messages into Korean?  We could
really use it.

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs

---

From: Kisung Kim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 09:33:48 +0900

Dear Josh Berkus

Thank you for your reply.

We are translating the PostgreSQL documentation into Korean now

and willing to contribute the results to the community.

And it will be also a big pleasure if we can translate the error messages
and contribute to the community.

Can you give some advises about how we can start it?

Finally, our company has many developers who are analyzing the PostgreSQL
source code

and we hope to contribute to the community by developing or patching the
engine in near future

as well as the translation work.

We hope to keep the contact with the core team and to contribute the
community in many ways.

Thank you.

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 20:23:27 -0700

> and willing to contribute the results to the community.

That's awesome!  I'm looking forward to it.

> 
> And it will be also a big pleasure if we can translate the error
> messages and contribute to the community.
> 

Yes, there's a translations project:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NLS
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgtranslation/messages.git;a=summary

> Finally, our company has many developers who are analyzing the
> PostgreSQL source code
> 

That would be great.

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com