Subject: Russian translation publication

From: Alexander Law <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 08:30:00 +0400

Hello,

I have translated into Russian first two parts of the PostgreSQL 
documentation and want to publish my work.
Can I create app for Google Play Market as an e-book that will contain 
my translation?
Can I make it paid?
Should I add some special notices to the doc?

If you're interested in it, I can send you my translation.
When the translation will be completed I would be happy to see it as 
existing official Japan and French manuals.

Best wishes,
Alexander

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 12:08:44 -0300

Alexander Law escribió:
> Can I create app for Google Play Market as an e-book that will
> contain my translation?
> Can I make it paid?

The manuals are BSD-licensed, just like the source code is.  You can do
anything you want with it; selling a translation is certainly an option
and has been done before.  I don't think you are required to add notices
(but you're free to do so if you wish).  IANAL.

> existing official Japan and French manuals.

That sounds great.

-- 
Álvaro Herrera                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 16:37:07 +0100

> (but you're free to do so if you wish).  IANAL.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what it says. We would of course always
appreciate a link back.

We've had others who've actually paid us a royalty on their sales, but
that's been purely voluntary.

Note that as long as it's paid for its not going to get linked from the pg
websites of course.

> > existing official Japan and French manuals.

+1,that would be excellent.

/Magnus

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 17:13:33 -0500

> (but you're free to do so if you wish).  IANAL.

"Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
documentation for any purpose, without fee, and without a written
agreement is hereby granted, ***provided that the above copyright notice
and this paragraph and the following two paragraphs appear in all
copies***." [my emphasis]

In a book, this would typically appear in the imprint on one of the
first few pages.  (This happens automatically if you use the DocBook
sources and the standard toolchains.)

---

From: Alexander Law <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 08:00:18 +0400

> sources and the standard toolchains.)
Thank you for your answers.
Yes, I will make the pdf from the docbook, just adding myself as a 
translator (in section "othercredit").

Best regards,
Alexander