Subject: Dead link to hp docs

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2018 11:29:47 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/ssl-tcp.html
Description:

In the "18.9.1. Using Client Certificates" the link to ssl certs usage
diagram seems to be dead
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83final/ba554_90007/ch04s02.html
i digged a bit at the wayback machine and have found where they moved it -
http://h41379.www4.hpe.com/doc/83final/ba554_90007/ch04s02.html

---

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2018 12:30:14 +0900

> http://h41379.www4.hpe.com/doc/83final/ba554_90007/ch04s02.html

Here are all the broken links in the source tree:

doc/src/sgml/libpq.sgml:
Wrong:   http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83final/ba554_90007/ch04.html
Correct: http://h41379.www4.hpe.com/doc/83final/ba554_90007/ch04.html

doc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml:
Wrong: http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83final/ba554_90007/ch04s02.html
Correct: http://h41379.www4.hpe.com/doc/83final/ba554_90007/ch04s02.html

src/include/port/atomics/generic-acc.h:
Wrong: http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/download/files/unprot/Itanium/inline_assem_ERS.pdf
Perhaps right:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.129.5445&rep=rep1&type=pdf

src/include/port/atomics/generic-acc.h:
src/include/storage/s_lock.h:
Wrong: http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/download/files/unprot/itanium/spinlocks.pdf
Perhaps right:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.129.5445&rep=rep1&type=pdf

It would be nice to fix the links to the docs for spinlocks and inline
assembler at the same time, but I am not sure where those are..
--
Michael

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2018 22:04:57 -0400

> Correct: http://h41379.www4.hpe.com/doc/83final/ba554_90007/ch04s02.html

I think HP break their site on a regular basis. Maybe we should be
looking for some more stable source of similar information?  I can't
believe that OpenVMS programming manuals are the best possible source of
SSL information.

-- 
Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 01:37:37 -0400

> I think HP break their site on a regular basis.

Well, more to the point, it's obvious from the very form of these links
that HP don't intend them to be stable externally-referenceable URLs.
I remember being unhappy from the beginning that Bruce would try to link
to them in our docs, and I think we're seeing now that indeed they're
not trustworthy permanent URLs.

> Maybe we should be
> looking for some more stable source of similar information?

Exactly.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 15:09:37 +0200

> > looking for some more stable source of similar information?

+<many>. I've been thinking that for a while. And it's not the first time
they changed things on us.

-- 
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/ <http://www.hagander.net/>
 Work: https://www.redpill-linpro.com/ <http://www.redpill-linpro.com/>

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 23:03:00 +0200

I have committed the proposed changes now.

We can substitute better links when we have them, but for now we don't
appear to have any.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services