Subject: Description of Authentication Methods Supported for Map is Misleading

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 20:43:33 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/auth-pg-hba-conf.html
Description:

"This option is supported for all authentication methods that receive
external user names."

More properly, the authentication methods supported are:  ident, peer,
gassapi, sspi, and cert.  

LDAP is not supported and attempting to use map with LDAP provides the
following error: 
'authentication option ""map"" is only valid for authentication methods
ident, peer, gssapi, sspi, and cert'

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2019 14:16:12 +0100

> ident, peer, gssapi, sspi, and cert'

This is correct. LDAP authentication does not receive external usernames.
It uses an external service to validate the password, but it gets the
username from the client.

-- 
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/ <http://www.hagander.net/>
 Work: https://www.redpill-linpro.com/ <http://www.redpill-linpro.com/>