Subject: tickling the lesser contributor's withering ego

From: Erik Rijkers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 15:38:47 +0100

I wouldn't mind if this page:
   https://www.postgresql.org/community/contributors/

contained a link to (contributors v11):
   
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/static/release-11.html#id-1.11.6.5.6

and to (contributors v10)
   
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-11.html#id-1.11.6.5.6

In fact, I think I would like it.

I hope you agree.

thanks,

Erik Rijkers

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 11:38:42 -0300

> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-11.html#id-1.11.6.5.6

I propose the following patch, which will make those links stable --
then we can add the following links to the contributors page:

https://www.postgresql/org/docs/10/release-10.html#RELEASE-10-ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
https://www.postgresql/org/docs/11/release-11.html#RELEASE-11-ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

-- 
Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services
diff --git a/doc/src/sgml/release-10.sgml b/doc/src/sgml/release-10.sgml
index aacdd360e0..c72b4c931e 100644
--- a/doc/src/sgml/release-10.sgml
+++ b/doc/src/sgml/release-10.sgml
@@ -8990,7 +8990,7 @@ This was disabled in the PG 9.6 branch so there is no commit here.
 
   </sect2>
 
-  <sect2>
+  <sect2 id="release-10-acknowledgements">
    <title>Acknowledgments</title>
 
    <para>
diff --git a/doc/src/sgml/release-11.sgml b/doc/src/sgml/release-11.sgml
index f35b0d8cc9..faa5835de4 100644
--- a/doc/src/sgml/release-11.sgml
+++ b/doc/src/sgml/release-11.sgml
@@ -3617,7 +3617,7 @@ same commits as above
 
   </sect2>
 
-  <sect2>
+  <sect2 id="release-11-acknowledgements">
    <title>Acknowledgments</title>
 
    <para>

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 09:45:23 -0500

> https://www.postgresql/org/docs/11/release-11.html#RELEASE-11-ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

Seems reasonable, but note the lag time --- unless somebody does
something out of the ordinary, those pages won't actually have
such tags till after the February minor releases.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 12:17:23 -0300

> such tags till after the February minor releases.

Good point.  That seems acceptable to me.

Erik, are you willing to propose a patch for the pgweb side of things?

---

From: Erik Rijkers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 16:25:38 +0100

> Erik, are you willing to propose a patch for the pgweb side of things?

Yes, sounds reasonable.  I think I can cobble something together.

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 11:53:18 +0100

> Good point.  That seems acceptable to me.

Good. While it *can* be worked around, it's a PITA and it risks getting
overwritten by other things, since the normal docs loads are based off
release tarballs. We can make them off a snapshot tarball, but it's a pain
:)

Oh, and +1 for stable links like that in general. That would be one good
step.

Not having considered what to do with, but it could also be interesting to
teach the loader to read the structured data out of the XML file and store
it in one of these weird things called a "database". That could be used for
things like matching on the contributors list and add a little per-version
badge to which versions they are known to contribute etc. That would
require us to be quite consistent in the naming of people, and also not to
have duplicates though, but maybe it can be valuable?

Actually, do we have a policy for handling duplicates in the docs there?
Since we only keep names there and not email or similar?

-- 
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/ <http://www.hagander.net/>
 Work: https://www.redpill-linpro.com/ <http://www.redpill-linpro.com/>

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 08:38:24 -0600

On 12/27/18 4:53 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> 
> 
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 4:17 PM Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
>     > Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]
>     <mailto:[email-masked]>> writes:
> release tarballs. We can make them off a snapshot tarball, but it's a
> pain :)
> 

Agreed on above points.

> 
> Not having considered what to do with, but it could also be interesting
> to teach the loader to read the structured data out of the XML file and
> store it in one of these weird things called a "database". That could be
> used for things like matching on the contributors list and add a little
> per-version badge to which versions they are known to contribute etc.
> That would require us to be quite consistent in the naming of people,
> and also not to have duplicates though, but maybe it can be valuable?

Not to hijack this, but there are some similar(-ish; we can debate
semantics, but it's a similar idea) things mentioned here[1] in
conjunction to the release note trimming. If we are going to go on the
"store stuff in the database" route around additional information the
docs, I'd suggest we tackle the release note trimming as well (and I
volunteer myself for that) as that should have significant impact across
the project (esp. full build time!).

I'm all for highlighting contributors and their work - so perhaps we can
combine both efforts since there might be a common solution to both? :)

(and RE dupes: I also hear that these database things are good tools for
helping to eliminate such things ;-)

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/19252.1533509841%40sss.pgh.pa.us

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 14:47:19 -0300

> Oh, and +1 for stable links like that in general. That would be one good

Okay, pushed this.  There's no need to do any advance publishing I
think; we can wait three more weeks.

We still need Erik to come up with the patch for pgweb, though :-)