Subject: source download link in installation instructions

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 21:58:33 -0500

The installation instructions in the devel branch

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/install-getsource.html

contain a direct link to the tarball download

ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/v9.3devel/postgresql-9.3devel.tar.gz

which doesn't exist.  It will presumably exist once there is a final
release, but I think it's bad to have that link broken in the meantime,
especially when beta comes around.  It's also not clear whether ftp and
tar.gz are necessarily the preferred download means anymore.

Should we just provide a link to http://www.postgresql.org/download/ or
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/ instead?  Or perhaps just "ifdef"
out the broken link in the devel versions?

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 07:44:16 +0100

> out the broken link in the devel versions?

Linking to /download/ seems like the best thing. Both because it gives you
a list of all the options, and because we don't lock into a specific
structure on the site. Not that we've change it recently, but links in the
docs are very permanent..

/Magnus