Subject: Postgres 10 and the pg_ctl "--wait" option

From: Greg k <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2018 06:04:42 +0000

In PostreSql 10, the documentation for pg_ctl and the "--wait" option says
"Startup is considered complete when the PID file indicates that the server
is ready to accept connections."

When I do a point-in-time recovery followed by a start with
"/usr/pgsql-10/bin/pg_ctl start -D /data -w -t 86400", I then try to
connect immediately after pg_ctl finishes. But I get a connection error
"psql: FATAL:  the database system is starting up" . It seems the
postmaster.pid file state goes from 'starting' to 'standby' to 'ready' but
pg_ctl is saying the server is ready to accept connections when the
postmaster.pid file says 'standby'. Am I misunderstanding the documentation?

Thanks,
Greg

---

From: Greg k <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 05:51:32 +0000

This seems to be different behaviour between pg9.5 and pg10. Pg9.5 does not
give a connection error once "pg_ctl --wait ..." finishes. So I've moved
this to the pgsql-bugs list.

Greg