Subject: Typo

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2016 07:28:02 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/backup-dump.html
Description:

Before restoring an SQL dump,

Should be

Before restoring a SQL dump,

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs

---

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 11:44:02 +0900

> Before restoring a SQL dump,

The source code has a shared opinion on the matter:
$ git grep "a SQL" | wc -l
630
$ git grep "an SQL" | wc -l
238
Based on some past memories of some basic English lessons, this should
be "an" I think, because the S of SQL spells as "esse" :)
-- 
Michael

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2016 22:56:30 -0400

> be "an" I think, because the S of SQL spells as "esse" :)

It depends on whether you prefer to spell out the abbreviation or
pronounce it as a word.  So I would read it as either "a sequel dump"
or "an ess-cue-ell dump".  Either is correct on its own terms, which
is why there's not a very strong consensus in our code/docs.  I'm not
excited about trying to standardize on one vs. the other.

			regards, tom lane