Subject: Doc creation failed (v10.5 & 11)

From: GPT <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 14:06:30 +0200

Hi,

I have followed the following steps but I have failed to create the
doc for PG11.

cd .../postgresql-11
./configure
cd ../postgresql-11/doc/src/sgml
make check

I get the following error:

make: *** No rule to make target '/configure', needed by 'version.sgml'.  Stop.

Any advice.

Tia

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 10:14:20 -0400

> cd ../postgresql-11/doc/src/sgml

The above seems a bit confused.  Are you trying to do a VPATH build?
If so, you need to run configure in the build tree, not the source tree.
That is, I'd have expected something more like

	cd ...buildtree...
	../sourcetree/configure
	cd doc/src/sgml

> make check

You probably want "make" or "make all"; "make check" won't actually

> make: *** No rule to make target '/configure', needed by 'version.sgml'.  Stop.

Looking at the makefile, it's clear that $(top_srcdir) is expanding
to empty.  I'm not quite seeing how Makefile.global would end up
doing that, but perhaps it's confused about vpath vs regular build.
Another theory is that configure went wrong somehow and inserted
bogus values into Makefile.global; was there any sign of distress
while running configure?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: GPT <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 17:55:43 +0200

Hi, thanks for the response.

First of all I am a simple user who likes reading only the different
content of the manual every time a new version comes up.

So, what I want to do is to create the pg11.html file, next pg11.text
file to compare it with pg10.x.text file (pg.org unfortunately stopped
providing text files).

The method I have followed is the same with that I did for 10.3 &
10.4. But it didn't work for 10.5 and now for 11.

What I get is:

config.status: ... yes|ok|no|other (no warning, no error)
...
sed: -e expression #1, char 404: unknown option to `s'
config.status: creating src/Makefile.global                      (file
size zero "0" ie empty!)
sed: -e expression #1, char 420: unknown option to `s'
...
config.status: ... (no warning, no error)

I am trying to build only the html and text documentation files. I
have been following the instructions given in "J.3. Building The
Documentation".

Please, if possible, advise accurate instructions for newbiees!

Tia