Subject: Indicated Epoch 0 is incorrect

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 23:44:04 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/functions-datetime.html
Description:

Per /docs/current/static/functions-datetime.html (and earlier), epoch is
defined as:

&quot;For date and timestamp values, the number of seconds since 1970-01-01
00:00:00 UTC&quot;.

The correct value to obtain 0 is as follows:

SELECT EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE &#39;1970-01-01 8:00:00.0&#39;)

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs

---

From: Steve Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 08:14:04 -0700

The docs are correct. When you convert a string to a timestamp with time
zone it will interpret the string in *your* time zone which is apparently
offset from UTC.

Try:
select extract(epoch from timestamp with time zone '1970-01-01
00:00:00-00');
or
select extract(epoch from timestamp with time zone '1970-01-01 00:00:00
UTC');

Note the explicit definition of timezone offset of zero or time zone of UTC.

Cheers,
Steve