Subject: how do I suggest a small docs change?

From: J Connolly <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 12:46:33 -0800

Hi, just wondering how to suggest a small change to the docs. On a related
note, if the source was on github it would be easier for people like me to
suggest a change.

Here's the suggested change:
The tutorial at (
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/tutorial-transactions.html)
should use integers (i.e. cents) when dealing with currency. Tangential to
the point of that page, but important given that it's a page targeted at
beginners.

Thanks!
J

Jay Connolly, founder
LiftHero.com
o: (866) 486-2917
m: (310) 430-0717

Follow   <http://www.twitter.com/Lift_Hero> | Connect
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/connollyjay>

---

From: David G Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 09:28:56 -0700 (MST)

J Connolly wrote
> note, if the source was on github it would be easier for people like me to

Just post your thoughts to -docs.  The harder part of doc changes is SGML,
not the fact the Git repo is not on GitHub.

> the point of that page, but important given that it's a page targeted at

That example uses the numeric type for currency; which is considerably less
convoluted then forcing everything to have hundredths resolution and
multiplication if you want to show the nominal unit (e.g. dollars).

David J.

--
View this message in context: http://postgresql.nabble.com/how-do-I-suggest-a-small-docs-change-tp5835330p5835372.html
Sent from the PostgreSQL - docs mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs

---

From: J Connolly <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 09:00:38 -0800

Thanks for the reply, David! I still think being on github would lower the
barrier to entry for would-be contributors, independent of the SGML format.
Whether you want to encourage more suggestions from less invested people
like me, including some that clearly conflict with established convention,
is another issue :).

J

typed with thumbs from (310) 430-0717
On Jan 25, 2015 8:29 AM, "David G Johnston" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> View this message in context:
> http://postgresql.nabble.com/how-do-I-suggest-a-small-docs-change-tp5835330p5835372.html

---

From: Kevin Grittner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:11:10 +0000 (UTC)

J Connolly <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I still think being on github would lower the barrier to entry
> for would-be contributors

I'm not sure whether you're unaware of the github mirror or want
something different:

https://github.com/postgres/postgres

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company