Subject: broken index references

From: Josh Kupershmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 20:03:50 -0700

If you search through recent 9.2 or 9.3dev PDFs for the string "??"
you should find ten occurrences. Other than the first instance in
Chapter 9, the other nine are all in the index, and indicate an
unknown reference to some index entry. For example, you can see in the
current 9.2-A4 PDF:

"""
deadlock, 349
  timeout during, ??
...

fsync conﬁguration parameter, ??
...

full_page_writes conﬁguration parameter,
??
"""

AFAICT tex is getting confused by <indexterm> entries appearing before
<term>. Or at least, switching the order seems to fix the problem.
Patch attached.

Josh

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 14:12:05 -0400

Josh Kupershmidt <[email-masked]> writes:
> unknown reference to some index entry. ...

Great catch, patch applied.

A different PDF-output problem that I've been noticing for awhile is that
certain intra-page links don't work.  The only clue I've found about it
is the warnings in the TeX log, for instance:

pdfTeX warning (dest): name{SQL-CREATETABLE-COMPATIBILITY-TITLE} has been refer
enced but does not exist, replaced by a fixed one

pdfTeX warning (dest): name{SQL-CREATEINDEX-STORAGE-PARAMETERS-TITLE} has been 
referenced but does not exist, replaced by a fixed one

pdfTeX warning (dest): name{SQL-CREATETABLE-STORAGE-PARAMETERS-TITLE} has been 
referenced but does not exist, replaced by a fixed one

pdfTeX warning (dest): name{SQL-CREATEINDEX-CONCURRENTLY-TITLE} has been refere
nced but does not exist, replaced by a fixed one

pdfTeX warning (dest): name{SQL-GROUPBY-TITLE} has been referenced but does not
 exist, replaced by a fixed one

pdfTeX warning (dest): name{SQL-WHERE-TITLE} has been referenced but does not e
xist, replaced by a fixed one

pdfTeX warning (dest): name{SQL-FROM-TITLE} has been referenced but does not ex
ist, replaced by a fixed one

If you look at the relevant intrapage links on these reference pages,
you find that they look right (the text does correspond to the
referenced title item), but the link actually goes to page 1 of the PDF.
(This is with the Fedora 16 PDF toolchain.)  Any idea what's causing that?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Josh Kupershmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 16:25:17 -0700

> is the warnings in the TeX log, for instance:

I could have overlooked a working example.. but as far as I've seen,
every link of the form:

 <xref linkend="..." endterm="...">

just goes to Page 1 in the PDFs. I checked against a recent 9.2-A4.pdf
from the website and my own 9.3-A4.pdf built on Debian; the psql page
(psql-ref.sgml) has a number of such links. The links seem to work OK
in the HTML version, though.

Josh

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 14:53:16 -0500

> in the HTML version, though.

Sorry to be looking at this late, but I just tested the 9.3.1 PDF at:

	http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/9.3/postgresql-9.3-US.pdf

and the link on page 1748 that links to section 31.14 worked fine:

	For additional environment variables, see Section 31.14.)

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

  + Everyone has their own god. +

---

From: Josh Kupershmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 17:23:14 -0500

>         For additional environment variables, see Section 31.14.)

[... jogging my memory ... ] I think the problem was specifically with
links of the form:

having the "endterm" attribute specified -- your example didn't have
an "endterm". For an example, see the next page (p. 1749 according to
our page numbering, under the "Meta-Commands" sub-heading), for the
link to "SQL Interpolation" at the end of this paragraph:

    <para>
    If an unquoted colon (<literal>:</literal>) followed by a
    <application>psql</> variable name appears within an argument, it is
    replaced by the variable's value, as described in <xref
    linkend="APP-PSQL-interpolation" endterm="APP-PSQL-interpolation-title">.
    </para>

which at least in my PDF reader just sends one back to Page 1.

Josh

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 20:34:54 -0500

> which at least in my PDF reader just sends one back to Page 1.

Yes, I confirm that failure on Debian.  Thank you.  Anyone want to
suggest a cause?

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 15:47:44 -0500

> Yes, I confirm that failure on Debian.  Thank you.  Anyone want to

Apparently a bug in the tool chain.  The link works correctly when built
with FOP, so I think the markup is correct.