Subject: Confusion over "This page in other versions" links

From: Heikki Linnakangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 13:32:30 +0300

I just had a discussion with someone off-list, where he was looking at 
the documentation page of a contrib module at www.postgresql.org/docs. 
Looking at the page, he came to the conclusion that the module was no 
longer supported in 9.2, because the header at the top of the page said:

"This page in other versions: 9.1 / 9.0 / 8.4 / 8.3  |  Unsupported 
versions: 9.2 / devel"

I find the links really helpful, but apparently they can be 
misunderstood. Perhaps we should change the "Unsupported versions" text 
to "future versions" or "Development versions". Or change "9.2" to "9.2 
(beta)", and remove the "Unsupported versions" text altogether.

-- 
   Heikki Linnakangas
   EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Jeff Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 18:05:48 -0700

> (beta)", and remove the "Unsupported versions" text altogether.

Or perhaps:

"This document for version: 9.1 / 9.0 / 8.4 / 8.3 | devel / 9.2 (beta) |
Old versions: 8.2 / 8.1 / ..."

I didn't read the original rationale, but it's not clear to me why we
have quick links to the documents for unsupported versions. Maybe just
have one link "unsupported versions" that goes to
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/archive/ ?

Regards,
	Jeff Davis

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 11:58:52 -0400

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/archive/ ?

I am sending this to the www list, which is where these headers are
generated.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

  + It's impossible for everything to be true. +

---

From: Josh Kupershmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 16:22:13 -0700

>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/archive/ ?

I have found the direct links to old/unsupported versions of the
current page to come in handy several times, e.g. when I'm interested
in how a system catalog has changed over time I can quickly open all
the different versions in separate browser tabs to catch any
differences. I could see reorganizing the current "Unsupported
versions" section into Future Version(s) and Unsupported/Obsolete
Versions, though.

Josh