Subject: Example for unnest(anyarray, anyarray) fails

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 21:04:05 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/functions-array.html
Description:

~ $ psql
psql (11.2, server 9.6.14)
Type "help" for help.

ghowe=# select version();
                                                    version                 
                                  
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 PostgreSQL 9.6.14 on x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, compiled by Apple LLVM
version 7.0.0 (clang-700.1.76), 64-bit
(1 row)

ghowe=# select unnest(ARRAY[1,2],ARRAY['foo','bar','baz']);
ERROR:  function unnest(integer[], text[]) does not exist
LINE 1: select unnest(ARRAY[1,2],ARRAY['foo','bar','baz'])
               ^
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need
to add explicit type casts.

---

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 15:55:01 -0700

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 3:21 PM PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> [...]

> to add explicit type casts.

As your query doesn't place the unnest function in the FROM clause as the
documentation says is required it is to be expected that your query fails.
The subsequent part of that sentence links you over to the section of the
documentation that provides a full example.  The one in the table is
intended as a quick-reference.

David J.