Subject: Typo.

From: Dmitry Igrishin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 14:26:52 +0300

Hi,

In "Internal position: this is defined the same as the P field, but it
is used when the cursor position refers to an internally generated",
"internally generated" should be replaced with "internally-generated".
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/protocol-error-fields.html

-- 
// Dmitry.

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs

---

From: Dmitry Igrishin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 15:08:34 +0300

> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/protocol-error-fields.html
Yet another place with both of "internally generated" and "internall-generated"
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/libpq-exec.html

PS. By using FTS I see that there are another places with this inconsistency.

-- 
// Dmitry.

---

From: Kevin Grittner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 07:44:17 -0500

> "internally generated" should be replaced with "internally-generated".

Not according to, for example, the Chicago Manual of Style:

http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/16/images/ch07_tab01.pdf

(See the "adverb ending in ly + participle or adjective" category.)

I'm pretty sure that this has been discussed on this list before
and decided in favor of omitting the hyphenation in such cases.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Dmitry Igrishin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 16:22:35 +0300

> and decided in favor of omitting the hyphenation in such cases.
Hm, well, how about removing hypenation from
"Internal query: the text of a failed internally-generated command",
"procedural language functions and internally-generated queries",
at https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/protocol-error-fields.html
and similar in other places?

-- 
// Dmitry.

---

From: Kevin Grittner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 08:37:58 -0500

> and similar in other places?

I think we should be consistent, especially on adjacent lines.  Oddly,
a single commit 12 years ago used both in close proximity.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 09:47:18 -0400

> and similar in other places?

They are both correct: it's just a matter of preference which one is used
in a particular place.  Any particular instance might be that way because
whoever wrote it always writes that way, or maybe they actually thought
about it and decided a hyphen did or didn't read better there.  (To my
taste, a hyphen is better if the phrase is being used as a compound
adjective, and otherwise probably not; but it's a minor thing.)  It's just
make-work to try to make all the many hundreds of places where we have
such wording 100% consistent; and I seriously doubt that it would create
any improvement in readability.

If you're looking to improve the docs, there are many places where the
English is actually pretty bad ... but this isn't one.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Dmitry Igrishin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 17:20:33 +0300

2016-06-07 16:47 GMT+03:00 Tom Lane <[email-masked]>:
> about it and decided a hyphen did or didn't read better there.
Hm, maybe. Shrug.

>  (To my taste, a hyphen is better if the phrase is being used as a compound
> adjective, and otherwise probably not; but it's a minor thing.)
Yes, I agree here.

>  It's just  make-work to try to make all the many hundreds of places where we have
Well, I usually report here when I read the documentation to do my
work and see some annoying inconsistency. And often I stop myself, but
in certain cases I can't refrain not to report.  Sorry if I too bother
for things that don't worth it.

-- 
// Dmitry.