Subject: Getting started guide does not start from first step

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 15:29:23 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/tutorial-createdb.html
Description:

I'm new to PostgreSQL and following the getting started guide. I expected it
to start from zero, but it assumes the reader already has a database up and
running and is already connected to it. 

1.3 Creating a database
I got here and tried the command `createdb mydb`, but it didn't work. I had
connected to the database (sudo su - postgres) and thought that was the only
step because the command prompt was now `postgre@username`. After quite a
bit of beginner searching on the internet, I found I then had to type `psql`
to actually connect. 

It'd be really great for new users if the Getting Started guide was more of
a walkthrough that contained all the steps--even those little ones of
getting connected that experienced users overlook.

---

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 08:49:53 -0700

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/tutorial-createdb.html

You should learn from the most recent version of the docs, 10.  9.0 is
obsolete.

> running and is already connected to it.

There are many different "zero" points - which is touched on in the
"installation" chapter.

> step because the command prompt was now `postgre@username`.

su doesn't connect one to the database, it changes the active o/s user.
Not sure about the prompt...

You say it didn't work but I'm suspicious you are mistaken.  The guide says
"If this produces no response then this step was successful and you can
skip over the remainder of this section."

> After quite a

The very next chapter is "accessing a database" ... it's first command is
"psql mydb"

David J.