Subject: how to modify the navfooter

From: Richard Swagerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 18:21:40 -0400

Where is the content of the navfooter established?
I would like to make some modifications to this footer, but I am unable to
figure out where the source that generates it.

I am building the documentation following the instructions from "Building
The Documentation" in Appendix J, currently on 9.6.

I am using the command:
make STYLE=website html

I can see the generated navfooter div section in the output html. I must be
missing something, because I cannot find a file in the git branch that
includes the class named "navfooter" or or any other words like "Navigation
footer", "Next", or "Prev".

I have limited understanding of stylesheets (whether dsl or xsl), but I am
hoping that I can make the small modifications needed for our use.

I am also curious about the docFooter div section that appears in the
publicly published PostgreSQL documentation pages. It does not appear when
I build the docs.
Is there a reason that the copyright does not appear on each page when I do
the doc build?
Is there some way to get it included when I do the doc build?
What file is used that contains the format (style?) info for that generated
html div section?

I would appreciate any assistance from those in the community that
understand something about these footers.
...Rick Swagerman

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2018 18:27:46 -0400

> figure out where the source that generates it.

It's not in the XML doc sources, for sure.  I believe our website wraps
the HTML generated from the XML in some other stuff, but I don't know any
details.  If nobody pops up here and answers your question in a reasonable
amount of time, try over at pgsql-www.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 18:45:18 -0400

> On Aug 7, 2018, at 6:21 PM, Richard Swagerman <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I would like to make some modifications to this footer, but I am unable to figure out where the source that generates it.
> 
> I am building the documentation following the instructions from "Building The Documentation" in Appendix J, currently on 9.6.
> 
> I am using the command:
> make STYLE=website html
> 
> I can see the generated navfooter div section in the output html. I must be missing something, because I cannot find a file in the git branch that includes the class named "navfooter" or or any other words like "Navigation footer", "Next", or "Prev".
> 
> I have limited understanding of stylesheets (whether dsl or xsl), but I am hoping that I can make the small modifications needed for our use.

I’m not as familiar with the doc builds but it looks like this is available
in the “stylesheet.xsl” file.

> I am also curious about the docFooter div section that appears in the publicly published PostgreSQL documentation pages. It does not appear when I build the docs.
> Is there a reason that the copyright does not appear on each page when I do the doc build?
> What file is used that contains the format (style?) info for that generated html div section?

That is in the pgweb[1] project, i.e. this file[2]. My understanding
is that probably will not be included in the doc build, as there is
content in it that is specific to the website :-)

[1] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgweb.git;a=summary <https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgweb.git;a=summary>[2] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgweb.git;a=blob;f=templates/docs/docspage.html; <https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgweb.git;a=blob;f=templates/docs/docspage.html;h=3c5535b43a6f60328bde1bf28903db5bcf81277a;hb=HEAD>

---

From: Richard Swagerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 17:56:20 -0400

Thank you Tom and Jonathan for your responses.

I am now looking at the stylesheet.xsl from after 9.6, and I do see these
lines in the file:
<div class="navheader">
  <xsl:if test="$row1 or $row2">
<table width="100%" summary="Navigation header">
The generated html files clearly have a div tag and a table tag that match
this. So I can understand what generates the header.

What baffles me is that the generated html files also include these tags at
the bottom of each file:
<div class="navfooter"><hr />
 <table width="100%" summary="Navigation footer">
I do not see anything in stylesheet.xsl that looks anything like this.
Does anyone know where the "magic incantations" are that generate this
navfooter?
...Rick Swagerman

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 6:45 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> I can see the generated navfooter div section in the output html. I must
> be missing something, because I cannot find a file in the git branch that
> [1] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgweb.git;a=summary
> [2] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgweb.git;a=
> blob;f=templates/docs/docspage.html;
> <https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgweb.git;a=blob;f=templates/docs/docspage.html;h=3c5535b43a6f60328bde1bf28903db5bcf81277a;hb=HEAD>
>

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 00:08:05 +0200

On 14/08/2018 23:56, Richard Swagerman wrote:
> What baffles me is that the generated html files also include these tags
> at the bottom of each file:

This comes from the DocBook XSL stylesheets.  The stuff in
stylesheet.xsl and similar is just a customization layer on top of those.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services