Subject: Typo in Documentation for Version 12 Section 40.3

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2020 08:05:47 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/rules-materializedviews.html
Description:

Hi all,

This is the link to the page which has a typo.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/rules-materializedviews.html. In the line
below the fourth code snippet square, it says:

>>> If people want to be able to quickly graph historical sales data, ...

This sentence doesn't make sense. I think it should be:

--- If people want to be able to quickly grab/obtain/get historical sales
data, ...

Regards,
Yushan

---

From: Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 10:16:48 +0100

> On 9 Jan 2020, at 09:05, PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]> wrote:

> --- If people want to be able to quickly grab/obtain/get historical sales

I'm not a native english speaker, but I'm pretty sure that sentence is correct.
"graph" in this context refers to generating a graph of the data, which is made
quite clear in the sentence below the codesnippet:

	"This materialized view might be useful for displaying a graph in the
	dashboard created for salespeople."

cheers ./daniel

---

From: Octopus ZHANG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 17:34:52 +0800

I partially agree. But with the context, it doesn't assume we want
`view<->visualize`  the data. It also says:

>> Another use for a materialized view is to allow faster access to data
brought across from a remote system through a foreign data wrapper.

It is talking about 'the view' not the graph.

Yushan

-- 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apologize to any possible reply delay for time differences.
对于任何由于时差未能及时回复邮件的情况表示抱歉。

---

From: Daniel Gustafsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 10:55:45 +0100

> On 9 Jan 2020, at 10:34, Octopus ZHANG <[email-masked]> wrote:

Please don't top-post on the mailinglists.

> I partially agree. But with the context, it doesn't assume we want `view<->visualize`  the data. It also says:
> 
> >> Another use for a materialized view is to allow faster access to data brought across from a remote system through a foreign data wrapper. 
> 

My reading is that it's referring to the usecase for the view, and that is to
use the summarized data in a graph. So I think it's correct.

cheers ./daniel

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2020 08:57:54 -0500

> use the summarized data in a graph. So I think it's correct.

The first sentence uses "graph" as a verb, while the next one uses
"graph" as a noun.  Both are correct English, but I can understand that
the inconsistency might confuse non-native speakers.  Not sure if it's
worth changing.

			regards, tom lane