Subject: OS system version upgrade (glibc / libicu version change)

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2026 09:07:41 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/18/collation.html
Description:

Hi, Team !
It looks like the PostgreSQL documentation doesn't explain the customers
what to do with PostgreSQL in case of OS system version upgrade or/and glibc
/ libicu version change.
There're many links/blogs available where the required actions are
explained.
https://knowledge.enterprisedb.com/hc/en-us/articles/13520015051420-glibc-locale-data-changes
https://www.crunchydata.com/blog/postgres-migration-pitstop-collations
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Locale_data_changes
The thing is some of the recommendations are not complete or/and not
up-to-date.
I see a lot of confusion in the field about this topic, because PostgreSQL
users don't have the 'official recommendations' from the PostgreSQL
community.
So, my proposal to dedicate a chapter in the PostgreSQL documentation about
the topic.
best regards
Alexey Shishkin

---

From: Alexey Shishkin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2026 15:33:28 +0100

Hi, Team !

Any ideas regarding my proposal ?

My recent experience is about the customers migrating from RHEL8 to RHEL10
and from SLES12 to SLES15 and they don't have the answers from PostgreSQL
documentation.

best regards,

Alexey Shishkin

*Alexey Shishkin*

Technical Account Manager

EDB Software GmbH

[email-masked]

www.enterprisedb.com <https://enterprisedb.com/>